Find
Notify
Tools

Luger pistol questions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted
I have the opertunity to purchase this handgun. The owner, has no idea of the value, type, model etc, nor do I. It's been tucked away for years, any information may help, I wouldn't mind purchasing it and tucking it away in the safe.

Here are several pictures a friend took and forwarded to me, please excuse the low quality pics. They are all I have until I personally handle the handgun myself.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 770 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Commercial model (not a Military issue) from the serial numbering style/location.
Plus no markings on the receiver ring.
It has the single commercial Crown/N nitro proof on the left side of the frame.
Hard to see the other small marks in the pics especially the small figure under the ser#.
Military issue ser# has an alpha character there,,commercial does not. But it's been so long since I was in to these I can't remember if there were some exceptions or different markings on the Commercial models.

I think it's in 30 Luger caliber if I see the cartridges in the magazine correctly as bottlenecked type.
That would make sense for a Commercial Luger.

The bbl and frame ser# seem to match but beyond that, no other ser#'d parts are visible except the TD latch and I can't quite make out that #.
The TD latch is ser#'d in the way Commercial Lugers are.
The side plate has no ser# boldly imprinted on it's side as a Military would, so I can only assume that it's a commercial and the ser# is correctly imprinted on it's lower edge.

It's a DWM manufacture.
The finish looks correct just from what the photos show. The ser#'s stamped thru the blueing on the bbl and raising the metal somewhat. The TD latch, safety, trigger , ect are heat treat 'straw' colored.

Something happened to the magazine base. It's been replaced, altered or 'something. It should be a wooden base with round grasping knob.. The mag body looks correct for the era.
If the entire magazine needs to be replaced,,an original from the right era in nice condition can cost $100 and up.

It really needs to be 'in hand' to be looked over and checked. It can be anywhere from a $400 gun w/a bad bore and mismatched #'s to a very nice matching example w/excellent bore only needing a new mag base and worth $1000.

Commercial Luger's in 30-Luger caliber generally bring less money on the market than Military & Police issue ones (9mm cal).
Not that they are any less well made,,sometimes they are better finished than War-time examples. But it's just how the market is and always has been as long as I can remember.

Just my thoughts.

added...Replacement wooden magazine bases used to be available (reproductions).
Some parts dealers have originals in various condition grades available from time to time.
You want the Standard/Plain type,,not the Navy type.

The repros may still be available if you look around.
If the magazine body itself is not damaged, a simple replacement of the base can put the pistol back in order if that's all that's cosmetically wrong. The base is just held in place by cross pin.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
What he said above.

Definitely something wrong with the magazine base. The "round" on the bottom could be wood or aluminum. If that magazine # is 3782, then it matches the number on the pistol and would be worth having it re-built.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
Thanks 215 for taking the time to give me such a in depth reply. I appreciate it.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 770 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome.
Looks like from the few pictures to be a rather nice .30 Commercial. The magazine thing can be rectified.
That ser# still has me wondering. It appears Military.
Hands on inspection could tell you otherwise of course!,,but looks like a good one so far.

.30's are nice shooters. They even feed better than the 9's because of the bottleneck cartridge.
Ammo almost none existant compared to 9mm of course,,but if you reload it's not a problem.

Dies are still available. Used to be an 86 or 90 gr FMJ bullet but we used to cheat and use FMJ 32acp bullets. A little lighter at around 70gr but they were easier to find, cheaper and the .309/.310 diameter didn't cause any problems.

The last .30 I had was an all matching Commercial w/a mint bore and I paid about retail/'had to have it price' for it at the time,,,$200.
Tells you how long ago that was!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that it's a commercial Luger in 7.65 Luger (30 Luger). They are great shooters. As mentioned they feed better then the 9mm. You can use the 32 ACP bullets but have to make sure they are hot enough to function the action. I shoot cast from mine. I designed a truncated cone nose bullet of 100 grains and had a mold made for it. I also shoot the Lee 100 grain round nose out of it. Dies and brass are still available as mentioned. MeGGar makes about the best replacement magazine in my opinion. Because of a barrel length restriction Germany had placed on them most all the 30 Lugers will be the 3 5/8ths inch barrels (most confuse them at 4 inches). I put an original German NOS 6 inch barrel on mine as it's not a collector grade model and it's just great to shoot. Very high velocity too.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I just acquired a very similar pistol that a friend ask me to sell and would also like some idea of what it is.

It is a 9mm and appears to be a commercial version and all the number except the one at the back of the toggle, and the aluminum magazines, match.

Here are some photos and anyone with ideas of what model it is please chime in.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Appears to be a plain vanilla 1908 commercial. It has the stud on back of pistol grip for a stock. Appears to be in good condition. I paid $800 for one that had some numbers faked but actually had a couple of rare features. It actually had new barrel that someone had serial numbered to match. It was a military though. I like this one but would be reluctant to try and give advice. There are a couple of Luger forums that are quite knowledgable. Best I can say is it was made after 1907 and probably before 1937 except the serial number is way too low. The knobs on the toggles are flat indicating a 1908 date and the parts that should be strawed such as the safety ARE strawed or appear to be which they stopped in 1937. It's definitely a DWM. and since it has no above chamber markings it's probably commercial. The thing is the serial number is far too low for what it has to be. Would be interesting to actually find out from someone who knows. It's probably one of the most faked pistol ever since they were made so many places and with so many variations. Good luck as it SEEMS to be a desirable collectable.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's a '1920 Commercial'.

Commercial proof,,commercial serial number placement.

The 1920 Commercials were serial numbered w/the Military style system (up to 5 numbers and the use of the single script letter suffix).
I had to look that one up in my old notes..

...The pistol in the OP is also a 1920 Commercial. The Military style ser# w/the letter suffix is what I could not figure out on that one as being correct for Commercial Luger.
I finally remembered something about the 1920's Commercial Model as being different and it is the ser#'s being in the Military range and style with the use of the letter suffix.

Other Commercial Models are numbered w/o the letter suffix. Just 5 digit number.

No chamber ring marking on the 1920 Commercial. The 1920 Military & Police models were plainly marked 1920 or 1921.

1920 Commercials retained the stock lug on the frame.

Most of the 1920 Commercials seen are in 30Luger and with the 3 7/8" bbl. But they were made in 9mmL also and actually can be found in many different bbl lengths including 6 & 8.
The ones commonly sent to the USA for sale were stamped '(Made In) Germany' in very small letters.

Remove & check the entire toggle assembly for matching ser#'s. Many pistols have a complete exchange of assemblys. On a Commercial, the breechblock is numbered on the left side and the front toggle on the underside. Last 2 digits on each. IIRC the firing pin is numbered also.

If a 1908 Commercial Model, it would not have a stock lug on the frame IMO. Plus it would either be minus the hold open feature as manufactured,,or show it was arsenal added on the right side of the frame.
Something to check for. I don't see the repair proof or added pin in the picture but it's a small feature.
1908 Commercial serial numbers are 5 digit and w/o letter suffix.

Grips on (most) all Commercials are numbered on the inside (last 2 digits). I've never seen any that weren't number in my past limited experience w/Lugers but I've always read that some Commercials were made w/o numbered grips.
I always thought that was a rather convenient way some collectors could explain away the fact that the grips on their otherwise excl't condition Commercial Luger weren't numbered.

Production started using the aluminum bottom piece in the 1920 time period, but wooden ones were also still made and used.
The magazine body would be tin or nickel plated steel yet.

The lack of a serial number on the bottom would be correct for a 1920 Commercial magazine.
A serial numbered magazine would be correct for a Military or police issue/contract magazine.
These were welded seam construction magazines.

The later so called extruded construction mag body was a 1930's development. These were blued steel with the exception of the run of stainless steel 'Haenel/Schmeisser Pat.' mags.

That's my guess-ta-mation anyway.
..and I re-learned something myself.

Nice looking Luger. They're hard not to be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2152hq:
I think it's a '1920 Commercial'.

Commercial proof,,commercial serial number placement.

The 1920 Commercials were serial numbered w/the Military style system (up to 5 numbers and the use of the single script letter suffix).
I had to look that one up in my old notes..

...The pistol in the OP is also a 1920 Commercial. The Military style ser# w/the letter suffix is what I could not figure out on that one as being correct for Commercial Luger.
I finally remembered something about the 1920's Commercial Model as being different and it is the ser#'s being in the Military range and style with the use of the letter suffix.

Other Commercial Models are numbered w/o the letter suffix. Just 5 digit number.

No chamber ring marking on the 1920 Commercial. The 1920 Military & Police models were plainly marked 1920 or 1921.

1920 Commercials retained the stock lug on the frame.

Most of the 1920 Commercials seen are in 30Luger and with the 3 7/8" bbl. But they were made in 9mmL also and actually can be found in many different bbl lengths including 6 & 8.
The ones commonly sent to the USA for sale were stamped '(Made In) Germany' in very small letters.

Remove & check the entire toggle assembly for matching ser#'s. Many pistols have a complete exchange of assemblys. On a Commercial, the breechblock is numbered on the left side and the front toggle on the underside. Last 2 digits on each. IIRC the firing pin is numbered also.

If a 1908 Commercial Model, it would not have a stock lug on the frame IMO. Plus it would either be minus the hold open feature as manufactured,,or show it was arsenal added on the right side of the frame.
Something to check for. I don't see the repair proof or added pin in the picture but it's a small feature.
1908 Commercial serial numbers are 5 digit and w/o letter suffix.

Grips on (most) all Commercials are numbered on the inside (last 2 digits). I've never seen any that weren't number in my past limited experience w/Lugers but I've always read that some Commercials were made w/o numbered grips.
I always thought that was a rather convenient way some collectors could explain away the fact that the grips on their otherwise excl't condition Commercial Luger weren't numbered.

Production started using the aluminum bottom piece in the 1920 time period, but wooden ones were also still made and used.
The magazine body would be tin or nickel plated steel yet.

The lack of a serial number on the bottom would be correct for a 1920 Commercial magazine.
A serial numbered magazine would be correct for a Military or police issue/contract magazine.
These were welded seam construction magazines.

The later so called extruded construction mag body was a 1930's development. These were blued steel with the exception of the run of stainless steel 'Haenel/Schmeisser Pat.' mags.

That's my guess-ta-mation anyway.
..and I re-learned something myself.

Nice looking Luger. They're hard not to be.

I believe the barrel length are suppose to be 3 5/8 inch and that is what my commercial barrel length is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes,, the less than 4" tube.
They do vary a bit, as long as they were shorter than the Military P08 of the day /per the Treaty.

Slightly less than four is good. I don't fret over it.

The Versailles Treaty set the standards for commercial sales in Germany after WW1.
No 9mmLuger caliber commercial pistols either,,so 30Luger and the short bbl was the main item.

Those Lugers exported between the Wars will offer up many different variations in bbl lengths & in both calibers in the Commercial version.
Old style frame (w/grip safety), new style toggle, 6 inch bbl and in 9mm or 30cal,,just one such 1920 DWM Commercial imported and sold by Stoegers in the late 20's

One of Us
Picture of R8 PRO
posted Hide Post
I have one of these Luger pistols in my possession at the moment in a leather holster with spare magazine, the bottom of the magazine is wood on both mags, I valued the gun at £35-500 UK pounds in auction. Very nice well made pieces.

Relax and light a Cuban.

Posts: 177 | Location: UK | Registered: 16 May 2013Reply With Quote