Find
Notify
Tools

1950 Browning Sweet Sixteen x36403
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted
I have a beautiful Sweet Sixteen from my grandfather. He whacked down the stock so my aunt could shoot it when she was a kid, and then the fore end shattered a few years back.

The aftermarket stock I have for it looks like garbage. Any ideas how I could find an original stock set for this gun? I've been browsing sites like gunbroker on and off and have had no luck. I have no intention of selling this gun, just want to restore it properly and pass it down to my son, etc.

Anyone have any ideas or leads for me to get some original components for it? Should I just have someone build me a new stock from scratch to make this gun pretty again?

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I have a 1937 A5 that I inherited from my grandfather as well. He also cut the stock down a couple of inches. I ordered a new stock direct from Browning, but it was a good while ago. The stock is not a great fit in the tang, but its OK. Seems the tang/wrist was a little thinner back then.

Thats acutally how I found out how old the gun was was when I gave them the serial #. The guy I spoke with told me the age.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midwest Gun Works has them. But as adamhunter said they were made for the Jap models.
To have one made would not be cheap.
Browning would most likely have them also.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote