Find
Notify
Tools

Early Dan Wesson
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted
I was offered an early Dan Wesson in .357 mag. It is nickel plated. The plating is flaking off in a couple of areas around the front of the cylinder and around the latch.

Overall the plating is not perfect but it is not trashed either. The timing is good on 5 holes and just barely slow on one. Not bad. Pachmayr grip, no accessories. The pics may show some weird colors, that's just the way my scanner copied it. Overall condition and appearance isn't bad, maybe 80-85%, I think.

Can anyone tell me what a fair number would be for this piece?

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Does it have interchangable barrels? I remember Dan Wesson's that came with 3 or 4 different barrels of varying lengths, all contained in a storage case with the "wrench" to change them. popcorn

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would the nickel plate be there to stop it from corrosion when it is used as a boat anchor?

Surely, and my apologies, there isn't a "collectors' market" for these things?

I'd rate it as actually LESS desirable than say a Colt Trooper III in same condition or similar.

As you know once nickel starts to flake it usually continues to do so.

That it is flaking at all suggests to me that it is not original nickel plating done by Wesson.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW and again I may be mistaken I don't recall from the early DWA adverts I saw a nickel plate factory option.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
There isn't a really strong market for the early guns but they shoot very well. I don't recall a factory nickel option, either. Just stainless steel later on.

Elmer, they could be had as individual guns or in "Pistol Pacs" with up to four barrels (2,4,6 & 8. Later added 10,12 and 15")) in a case. The first generation had an exposed barrel nut and are by far the ugliest. After that they began to look much more attractive. There was a transition of ownership where quality began to suffer and they lost their reputation. The better guns all came out of Monson, Mass.

The hammer thumb piece is low on the hammer and makes for a very short cocking effort. I like 'em a lot; my 15-2 shot as well or better than any Python of the era.

They're owned now by CZ-USA and only have a couple of models of revolver.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tigger... My memory was a little fuzzy, but you confirmed it! Cool

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote