THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 81 - detachable Magazine?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I saw a Model 81 today (300 Savage) that had a detachable magazine. I have never seen one before (detachable). Can't seem to find any reference to it either. Can somebody enlighten me on this? Was this indeed a factory option/model?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that Remington made a Police Model 8 in .35 Rem. with a detachable magazine. So, since the 81 is a "improved" Model 8 it could be possible that some were made special with the removable magazine.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a picture of the Model 8 Police Model to see if this was the same set-up. This was indeed a .300 Savage and indeed a Model 81. If the detachable set-up was something done aftermarket by some gunsmith I will give him credit as he did a nice job.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
justahunter, does yours have a magazine latch/release in the triggerguard?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that I once read that Frank Hamer, the fellow who led the possee that bagged Bonny & Clyde back in the 30s, had an 81 in .35 Rem equipped with a detachable xtra capacity mag...

Perhaps a search on Hamer or Bonny & Clyde would say something about it..

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
there were some modifyed by the peace officer's equipment co. located in Missouri There was another called kreiger that was after market.not sure of the spelling but it's close.

Posts: 12 | Location: Ct. | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote