Find
Notify
Tools

Value on a 4 bore Pigeon gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted
I have a 4 bore live pigeon percussion single barrel made by James Harper. The stock has several dings and one crack on the end of the forend, but the metalwork is in fair condition. It has a brown patina, but very little pitting.
http://i185.photobucket.com/al...0photos/4bore018.jpg

One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thats a very interesting piece. I have to ask why a 4 bore for pigeons?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
From what I understand, the larger bore greatly improved the pattern and virtually eliminated shot stringing. Also, it would stop the pigeon should it decide to charge! rotflmo

I was also told that the pigeon guns didn't have a ramrod because they were all loaded on the firing line with common bowls of shot. The loads were the same no matter what bore was used in the competition.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
it would stop the pigeon should it decide to charge

That is a must! tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've called everyone I know and they all say it's worth $12. So, let me know where to mail the check!

Big GrinBig Grindancing dancing dancing dancing Big GrinBig Grin

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
For that price you could probably get a good deal at the Bass Pro Shop toy rack! They would probably throw in a coon skin hat. jumping

But, that wouldn't be enough to buy the Hunter Dan doll, oh excuse me "action figure." Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, if you're willing to throw in an honest to goodness Davy Crockett hat, I may be tempted to go as high as $14. Let me know where to send the check.

lol sofa lol

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must be the guy i talked to on the gon forum because he just bought the exact same gun ? if so then lol . would alot more if it was a 4 bore jones under lever

One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
Yep. That's me. I just want to know what I now have. I pulled the action out of the stock and it has British proof marks and a "5" stamped under there. Does that mean it's actually a 5 bore, or does that signify the load it was proofed for? I'm nearly positive the proofs are Birmingham black powder proofs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool gun. How big is it: weight/length? Did you just purchase it?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
I just bought it. It has a 30-inch barrel and is about 7 pounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. That seems very light.

I would post on www.doublegunshop.com You should get a good response there.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote