New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Collection Insurance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any recommendations for a good insurance company to cover personal gun collections? My current homeowners insurance will not offer a extension for the appropriate coverage.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try State Farm. They include a $5,000 policy rider for a measly $12. Any aditional is $1.53 per $100.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If you belong to SCI, you can get the insurance you are looking for from Sportsman's Insurance Agency, Inc. for a premium of $1.25 per hundred.

It will cover full replacement value at the manufacturer's suggested retail price (or the amount you actually paid for guns no longer made or custom jobs) with no deductible, and can include custom work, gun cases, scopes, binoculars, rangefinders, etc.

You do have to be an SCI member to get it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
www.collectinsure.com is reasonably priced and seems to have a good record for actually paying on claims.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spoke to Sportsmans Insurance Agency. They have an excellent policy but establishing the value of the guns is a problem. They want to use the Blue Book of Gun Values. Many of my guns are not listed in the BBGV or the values are incorrect. In which case they want written apprasials. My collection changes too often to go to that trouble and expense.

Core-Vens Insurance writes for the Travelers Agency and they advertise in the Shooting Sportsman Magazine. They have a blanket policy that does not require a list or appraisal unless the gun is valued at over $10,000.00. Problem is they have a $1,000.00 deductable. This fine if something happens to my entire collection but not so good if something happens to only one gun.

ForrestB - thanks for the tip on the collectinsure.com. I will check them out.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
jawheeler,

SIA will accept a bill of sale, rather than an appraisal. But that is workable from an insured's point of view only if the bill of sale is recent and reflects actual value. Otherwise, it doesn't work. And you are correct that the only other approach SIA offers is to require an appraisal in order to establish actual value.

I hope you can find a policy that is reasonably priced, with no deductible, and that does not require appraisals in the circumstances noted.

If you do, please let me know.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote