New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Experts in Values of Colt 1911s and M1 Garands
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
An aging shooter and Korean War vet recently passed on, and I would like to help his widow sell his firearms. He was into military match shooting, and has 3 pristine M1 Garands, a Springfield Armory bolt-action 22 trainer, and 3 Colt 1911 handguns, as well as 4 S&W Model 41 target rimfire semi-autos.

While I'm pretty "up" on values of modern stuff, I don't know much about military firearms. I know some are cobbled together by the armory for resale/reuse, while others may have increased value based on who proofed it or some other piece of esoteria.

If you're up on the values of military weaponry, shoot me a PM. I'd like to make sure I get her the proper value when selling her husbands treasures.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Biebs,

In order to accurately appraise the M1911 (M1911 or M1911A1?) pistols for collector value, they need to be disassembled and each part identified. Same with the M1 rifles.

Otherwise, the dates of manufacturer, bore and exterior finish condition, and grips/stock can be visually assessed for an approximate value as non-collector items.

Both these firearms are aggressively collected by many folks and there are a number of books designed specifically to assist the collector in making an appropriate evaluation of worth. There is no way to provide accurate valuation without personally examining the weapon, but a series of photos will assist in determining if further examination is warranted.

BTW, "pristine condition" has absolutely no meaning to a collector, nor does the fact that he was a match shooter, which might indicate the weapons have been changed from original condition by substituting parts.

Hope this helps.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, understood....it's a collectible that comes with so many possibilities affecting value that it requires a true expert to assess their worth....from arsenal rebuilds, part cobbled together by prior owners, etc. I've been given some contacts that may be in a position to evaluate them. I'll see where it goes.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Try this site.... Thee are A LOT of very knowledgeable people on Garands and 1911's that frequent this site.. Culvers Shooting Pages

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, thanks, I'll check it out.