New
Find
Notify
Tools

winchester model 97
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my friend wanted me to see if he could find outhow much his gun is worth. so i guess here is agood start. It is a winchester model 97 12 guage. Guns condition is 95%. He doesn't know when the gun was made, but it was his grandpa's gun, so they are thinking it was made in the late 1800's. any help would be appreciated... Thanks

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Without the serial number all I can tell you it was made between 1897 and 1957 with over one-million built. Provide the serial number in a format "99xxx" and I can tell you what year it was made.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll have to ask him what the serial number is, but i remember looking at it and it said something like patents, then it gave several dates with the latest one being 1900. but i'll have him get the serial number.

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i bought a wall hanger quality '97 in 1988 for like $150.... got bored with seeing it in the safe, so i tightened the barrel bushing and shot it with low brass #8's the other week... 2 shots, 2 busted clays.... so back in the safe it goes... mine was made in 1907....i see them at gun shows here in south texas in the <$300 range...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Dennis McClellan
posted Hide Post
These guns are not in the same price range of say 10 years ago. Thanks to cowboy action, these guns are once again desirable. The hunter type variety are generally in the $400.00 to 600.00 price range. I have several including a Black Diamond and even a chinchester 97. Just my humble opinion on the price range ,check with a "qualifed " appraiser to be sure. DMc

Posts: 6 | Location: Scheller,Il | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis is pretty close in his valuation if it is actually 95% with original barrel and choke, and nothing extra, like a vent rib. I've been trying to buy a nice one for a while and haven't found one for less than about $600 in good shape, that is 90% original blue or more with no problems.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ran across an interesting 97 TD shotgun a few years back at a Houston gun show for $95. A pawn shop was selling it along with a bunch of junker guns. It had a short barrel, the stock had been cut off and taped up, and the entire gun had been painted black. It appeared tight so I figured what the heck and took it home.

When I got it home and cleaned the paint off I found it was an orginal riot gun made in the late 20's. Stamped on the back of the action was "LAPD". Under the paint was traces of the orginal blue and almost no wear at all- the edges were sharp and surfaces were clean with no pitting. I had a hard time breaking the gun down, it was still in the first notch and showed little wear inside and an excellent bore.

I found an orginal butt stock to go on it but still haven't refinished it. If I get someone to an orginal blued finish it would almost pass for a new gun.

Kinda neat to have a real life police gun that probably saw action during the prohibition days.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote