Find
Notify
Tools

police shotgun marked ' R I P D'
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Trying to identify what possible police departments would use the initials 'R I'.

The buttstock of a Model 37 Ithaca is stamped 'RIPD 13' that showed up at a midwestern USA gun shop.

Its a 12 gauge, 20", 8-shot, parkerized finish, oil non-checkered stock, brass bead sight, and the serial number indicates it was made in 1976. It's not marked DPPS (Deer Slayer Police Special) and does not have rifle sights. I recall this configuration as I was issued one just like it in that era at a small town police department I worked for.

I'm guessing its from the Rock Island (Illinois) Police Department. I can't think of any other cities that would use initials 'R I' and would have a police department big enough to utilize multiple shotguns requiring numbers going at least to 13 (assuming sequential numbering of their inventory).

Any other guesses?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Run down Walter Snyder ……. he is the man!

https://www.doublegunshop.com/snyder_w_ithaca_2nd.htm

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My first guess would be Rock Island P.D. I don't know if Rhode Island ever had a state police, but that would be my 2nd conjecture.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just went and did a little checking...at one time the City of Rock Island, Illinois issued Winchester M'97 shotguns to some officers. That was 80 years ago...no doubt they upgraded from time to time since then.

There is also a Rhode Island State Police to this very day. I will see if I can scare up any info as to which shotguns they have used..

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a little reading of the history of the Rhode Island State Police at their website.

From their early days (1920s) two shotguns were issued to each patrol commander for officers to use in situations where they were appropriate. Early department regulations required the department to use equipment made in Rhode Island (if available) but as I know of no shotguns manufactured in Rhode Island off the top of my head, the selection of nearby upstate New York-made shotguns wouldn't surprise me in the least.

You might try inquiring by e-mail of their current armorer or firearms training officer and get more info that way.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Rhode Island State Police would use the initials 'R I P D'?

The serial number indicates a 1976 manufacture date. I can't think of any other town with the initials 'R I' other than Rock Island.

The gun followed me home. As police issue shotguns go this one is in good shape. Cleaned some old dried oil out of it and it smoothed up. Put a box of shells through it at the skeet range and it functioned fine. I am going to replace the magazine spring as it seems a bit mushy.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
I wonder if Rhode Island State Police would use the initials 'R I P D'?

Rather than just use conjecture, why don't you take the easy way out? Either e-mail or call them and ask.

To get their contact information, Google 'Rhode Island Police'.