Find
Notify
Tools

ID this gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
 -
Anybody that can tell if the Guides rifle is a Win 94 or 92 or Marlin or what all? Thanks!

Posts: 199 | Location: Harnett County NC | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a Marlin,,,hard to see well enough to tell 92 or 94 Winchester...but it is most certainly a Win. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Judging from the position of the front magazine tube tenon and comparing with 1900-1920 photo's from my Win 94 book, I would lay odds on a Win 94 possibly 32/40 or 38/55.

Any date to the photo?

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Photo is circa 1885 or so but thats about the best I could do. Thats based on the arrival of "Sports" like the one in the photo to the adirondacks.

Posts: 199 | Location: Harnett County NC | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Looks like a M1894 Winchester to me. I've had a couple. That would put the pic as post 1894 unless you have other info... Then it would be an oddity. It is not an 1886, I don't believe, too trim in scale to the man's hand UNLESS he's standing some 6' 5" or more. He COULD be, look at the fellow next to him. Average height at the time was 5' 6" or so and THAT guy has a big for him rifle. Also, those look like Adirondack guide boats. Is it upstate?

[ 08-19-2003, 21:49: Message edited by: Hobie ]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are indeed guideboats. The pic is from somewhere here in the Adirondacks, not sure where. Looks staged to me, what the hell would the guide be doing with antlers sticking out of his packbasket? That basket is probably 20-22" so he's a tall dude. The original caption reads "The difference in lifestyles of the guide and Sport are apparant in appearance, stance, and fashion." or something like that. PS- I sometimes stop for the night in Staunton when traveling to NC to visit my daughters. Beautiful country, I love the drive up thru to Crozet!

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Well based on our discussion, I'd lean towards the 1886. He is a big guy. The "sport" has a gun that looks to be a Winchester as well and is about the same size as the guide's but big for him.

Of course the picture was staged. They almost all were. No body, at that time, had the confidence and few the ability, to take good candid shots.

There's no distinguishing terrain to id the location, at least that I can recognize. Probably houses on that far shore now. [Roll Eyes]

I love those guideboats. However, I can't afford a wood one so I've thought I might get a kevlar boat from The Adirondack Guide Boat. Another advantage is that I can car top AND haul the travel trailer (caravan to our UK friends).

Used to spend my summers on Lake George. Family had a place just south of Sabbath Day Point, almost under Rt. 9. Built in the 1880s, they had to get to it by boat for a LONG time. One the boats is in the Mystic Seaport Museum. Look up Winona, a 16' pulling boat. With leeboards she's been sailed and she's been single and tandem rowed the length of the lake. Have a picture somewhere of me rowing her when I was 6, I believe on Barnegat Bay or at Sandy Hook. Of course my grandmother was reclining in the stern, very gentile!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about early Winchesters, but it looks an awful lot like my 1893 Marlin in 38-55.

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a round barrel Win M-94 rifle, barrel length was 26 inches unless special ordered..Calibers were 25-35, 38-55, 30-30, 32-40 (rarest)...........

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote