New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Auto 5
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The Browning Auto 5 Magnum has always been on my wish list. For some reason I never got one. I found one on one of the "live" online auctions and was surprised when I was high bidder. I cant wait to get the gun and try it out. What really surprised me was that I got it less than my top bid was.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that it is a 1967 Belgian manufactured gun with 98% finish.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you have a good job. A-5's are very addictive.
If you go to shotgunworld.com and go to the browning lovers forum, you can read up on the A5 till your eyes bleed. A lot of real good info.
They were bringing premiun prices a few years ago. Prices have come down, but not by much, barrels have come down also.
You bought a jewel for sure.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammer price was $550. I thought i got it pretty cheap.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hammer price was $550. I thought i got it pretty cheap.

You did get a gem wave

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's your intended use for your A-5.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess to fulfill that dream of owning one. Other than that I will use it for ducks and turkeys. I am too traditional to use a plastic or camo gun, so it should work out well for me, even if I may scuff it up.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No steel in those. I bought one of the new Japanese choke tube barrels for mine. Also stay away from the 1-7/8 oz loads, they will work but are pretty hard on the gun.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cgbach,
I havent hunted ducks in about 30 years. What are the new lead replacement materials used to make shot these days?
Thanks.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steel shot is the most common for ducks and geese. Like has been said, it's not recommened for a Belgian barrel. It will put a ring around the barrel right before the choke. You most likely have a full choke. Worst there is for steel shot.
There are other kinds of shot for ducks, but the price goes through the roof.
A jap barrel will almost be as much as you paid for the gun.
If you will only shoot ducks once or twice a year it may be cheaper to buy Bismuth, if you can find it.
An A-5 is worth bringing up to snuff. Nothing made today even comes close.
Get you a sixteen, you will really be hooked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take time to fully understand the recoil ring/ friction ring adjustment. It is possible to shoot 2.75 trap loads and have it function with no problems. A Jap multi-choke barrel is the only way to go with steel shot. Take the time to read about how to lube, maintain your A-5, it will last you a lifetime.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is why AR is my favorite website. Now I wont ruin my new gun with steel shot. I didn't know anything about the Belgian A-5s limitations. Thanks guys.
PS: As much as I hunt, Bizmuth will be the way to go!

Life Is For Service
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you or some one you know reloads, there are different options besides Bismuth. After Bob Peterson died Bismuth got hard to find. I believe some one else has now taken it over.
As Yackman said, their is a good bit to learn about the recoil rings.
What I do for the magazine nut is to tighten it down, holding the barrel down also, then losen it till it hits the first click. You don't want to shoot it loose, the fore stock will split.
On my magnum, I have a different set up than you for the recoil ring. Mines a first year, 1958, with the double spring and brass just like the standard 12.
What I do for a new load is, first dry the magazine tube and wipe off the brass. If it doesn't cycle i put some lube on the mag tube. If it doesn't cycle I dry the mag tube and put the washer next to the action so it won't get lost. If it doesn't cycle I will then put a little oil on the mag tube. If it still won't cycle (it should by now if shooting magnum loads) you can get the spring and washers of a standard and use them on the magnum. Don't shoot it without the washers ever.
It sounds complacated, do it a few times and it's second nature.
Teach your kids and grand kids to use an A-5. It will still be knocking down ducks 100 years from now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Auto V is just about my favorite. I'm not a great shotgunner, and am guilty of lifting my head when a bird flushes over the dog. The "ledge" at the rear of the receiver makes me hunker down properly for the shot. I don't do waterfowl, so the Lt 12 and Lt 20 are the ones I like, especially in the DU and special edition grades.

Posts: 20090 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow,
it does sound complicated....especially since I haven't received the gun yet from the auction house. When I get it I will strip it down to see how the washers and springs all go together. Thanks for all the info.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
The Auto V is just about my favorite. I'm not a great shotgunner, and am guilty of lifting my head when a bird flushes over the dog. The "ledge" at the rear of the receiver makes me hunker down properly for the shot. I don't do waterfowl, so the Lt 12 and Lt 20 are the ones I like, especially in the DU and special edition grades.

I do the same when the bird flushes. That's why birds are pretty safe when I am out hunting!

Life Is For Service
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I love my Magnum 20. It's a Japanese gun but such a great shooting and feeling gun. Many a quail and pheasant have fallen to her charm...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am getting real excited about this gun. Unfortunately, unlike buying from a private owner or from gunbroker, the big auction houses sell hundreds of guns in one day and ship them one at a time. I may not receive this gun for several weeks. They seem really professional though.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tarawa

For older guns like yours, I have found Kent Tungsten Matrix far superior to bismuth and its fine in old guns. I use it in mine for ducks and geese. Do not use steel as stated above. Do some research on what I have said and I am confident you will pleased. Matrix is almost as dense as lead 10.8 I believe. Hard lead is 11.0 or maybe less depending on how much antimony. Matrix patterns through chokes like lead and is soft like lead so it flattens ducks and geese just like lead. Enjoy.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kent Tungsten Matrix far superior to bismuth and its fine in old guns

+2 Kent is good stuff all around

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use both matrix and bismuth, don't see much difference between the two, either way better than any steel loads. As I recall my gun will digest 1-1/8 loads if you put the friction washers in the right place. If the gun has been used much a good cleaning might be in order. I took mine completely apart and could not believe the crud I found in the action.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The A-5 was the only semi-auto shotgun for me. I had 2 early post-war versions with solid ribs, works of art, pheasant killers.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good news, the gun was shipped already. They estimated 2-3 weeks before shipping, but I guess I was ahead of the line. I will look into the Kent ammo in the mean time. I know that I am going to love this gun.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a stable of Auto-5's. I believe that Browning still has the original owner's manuals available on the website for print-out. I would print it out and study it as you will need to know how to change the rings when shooting light loads or heavy loads. The instruction manual should help you with this. The guns came with a sticker glued inside the forearm that showed you, but many of the used Auto-5's have had them removed or they have fallen out over the years. Good luck with yours. tu2 And yes, yours was made in Belgium due to the date of manuafacture, so you should not shoot steel in it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My FFL called and told me that the shotgun arrived Cant wait to pick it up. I will post some pictures. I am sure glad that I posted on this board. There is so much that I learned about the A-5.
Thanks!!!!1

Life Is For Service
DRSS

posted Hide Post
I bought 2 Belgian A5's when my son was born...1 12 guage and a Light 20. A better shotgun to celebrate his arrival has not been made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally got off the road and picked up the A-5! It is better than I thought. After checking it out i put it in the safe. With a 32" barrel, I will need a taller safe!

Life Is For Service
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with the A5's is the compression rings where designed for lead shooting, meaning the oold lead shot shells had heavier payloads resulting in more recoil than steel loads. The first time I took out one of my 12 mag A5 I kept getting failure to eject or chamber with 3" steel since I had the rings set for 3" lead loads, try it out with the shells you intend to hunt with and use a good oil on the mag tubes. A5 are addictive I had as many as 7 of them at one time

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote