New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sedgely Springfield
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Came across one at a gun show over the weekend. Several minor dings and scratches on stock. No bluing left on floor plate, otherwise OK. Rock bottom was $1K. I was thinking more in the neighborhood of $800. He wouldn't budge. Is it worth a grand? There is some controversy regarding the heat treatment of some of these.
Can't locate magazine articles that I've been referred to. (Rifleman June 1984 and Rifle Issue 99 May-June 1985.) Any help would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't say for sure without looking at it but even the best examples I have seen go for around 900 bucks. I would definatley try to get him to go lower, especially if it's a little dinged up. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What does the reciever say on this piece? Springfield? Rock Island? approx sn#? Are you looking for a wall hanger or a shoot'n piece?

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom

The arsenal name and serial number are ground off and replaced with a matte finish. Sedgely re-serialized these guns and most are in the four digit range. Definitely NOT looking for a wall hanger at that price.

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
ANCONA

I am by no means sure, but the heat treat problem was known about when Sedgly was building guns. So I would have to believe it would be OK in that respect.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George?
MP