New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Mannlicher
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Sako 308 purchased about 35 +- years ago, full length stock with rings. also have a fiberglass stock for hunting inclement weather.
I finally made up my mind that I am going to sell it.
Away from home now, but I will put serial number on next post.
trying to gt an idea what I should ask for rifle, good condition but has been hunted with but not abused.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on whether it is the pre-Garcia L579 with the lighter barrel, the Garcia L579 with the slightly heavier barrel, or the Stoeger A-II with the single-line checkering in the fore end.

In my opinion, the older the generation the more desirable.

Condition is very important. If it shows some bit of field use, then it probably won't bring any more than a regular sporter from the same era. If it is 98% or better, then it will probably bring a 20% premium over a sporter.

Value might range from the price of the action for a beater up to the $1,200 range for a pristine, as new pre-Garcia.

But opinions are like various bodily orifices in that we all have (some of) them and some are held in higher esteem than others. Post some good photos and maybe I, or others, can give you a little closer guess on what a fair price might be.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IT IS THE A-II I THINK IT WAS BOB HAGEL (MIGHT BE WRONG) WHO LOVED HIS SO MUCH I HAD TO HAVE ONE.
THANKS.
MADE A WONDERFUL LITTLE DEER RIFLE.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gi:
IT IS THE A-II I THINK IT WAS BOB HAGEL (MIGHT BE WRONG) WHO LOVED HIS SO MUCH I HAD TO HAVE ONE.
THANKS.
MADE A WONDERFUL LITTLE DEER RIFLE.

Not Bob Hagel, he was a Belted magnum guy, all the way...

I it was John Wooters.

He also liked his Ruger No1 in 45/70. He used it for his Leopard hunt, got one too.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in buying it when you price it. I'm a sucker for Mannlicher stocked guns.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figure it is worth about $12. Where should I send the check?

dancing

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote