New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre- Model 27 S&W with target grips
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a nice pre- model 27 S&W .357 today with a set of the early diamond target grips on it. SN of the gun is in the S 96xxx range. The grips match the gun very well but they have no SN on them. I got the gun with the grips for $475 so I'm pretty happy in any event.

I'm trying to find out if these could be the orginal grips or if someone swapped them out years ago for the magna grips. I know the non-diamond target grips were offered as an option after 1956 but I've been unable to find out even when the target grips were first offer as an option on the 27.

Any help is appreciated!

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
you could post photos on the Smith & Wesson forum and ask for info. My guess is that they are original. Not all grips are marked with the gun serial number and to my knowledge the diamond targets or 'Cokes' were options on early guns depending on when they were made. My experience is more in the -2 era as I'm not old enough to remember the early guns. I would guess you have an all original gun woth much more than you paid for it.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pre-Mod 27 was serial numbered S123XXX and thad "Magna" diamond grips, with serial number stamped on them.

I also had an early "S" prefix Model 57 with the diamond target grips that I think were not numbered.

I think they key may be what style of trigger and hammer is fitted to you "357 Magnum" Model?

Whatevr the whole package you have is right for the period so I would not worry but just enjoy it.

And bless you American NRA that you have never suffered a handgun ban and confiscation as we did in Britain in 1996!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote