THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To shoot or not to shoot is the question ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I acquired a 1956 Winchester 88 with clover leaf tang and it is unfired condition. I'm not a collector but a hunter. I bought it sight unseen from the neighbor lady. I thought I had a good hunting rifle but it really is a collector piece. So I don't know if I should use it or not ? What is it's value ? I'm tempted to sell it or trade for something I can use. What I do depends on what you say. Thanks

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. Either way it's alwasys exciting. Sieze the Day !

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have ran into that before.Dont shoot that one.You can buy them all day long that have been fired and mint condition,you justgot lucky,those rifles that old unfired are rare!Save it like it is.If you take a old gun in the woods you will never scratch it,if you take a brand new one you will scratch it all up everytime!They will not be makeing those no-more,that rifle will be worth a fortune some day to somebody for sure!All old unfired pre64 rifles are high price.Check around and find out how many you can track down ,if they are for sale at all...........scarce as hens teeth..... thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yea forgot to ask,what would you trade for?I trade.check around first and do some price checks before you decide anything.. thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S WORTH. bUT i NEED A DECENT .243 LIKE A rUGAR OR rEMINGTON AND MY wIFE NEEDS A rEMINGTON 100 LWT 20 GAGE vR 26" BBL SCREW IN CHOKES.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. Either way it's alwasys exciting. Sieze the Day !

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.358: I don't see where you tell a caliber for your '88. Will make notable diff.in value,so please post it.. Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
358: OK,I see from another forum that it's a 308. So---.24th Ed.Blue Book puts it at $850 for 100% ..might have to to go on the internet auctions to get that,,you can find good "shooter"grade 88's in that caliber for $400,and you don't need a pre-64 for that,so maybeso can get a later one for a little less.Some feel the post 64's are actually better shooters ,(post 64 243 shooter grade shouldn't cost much more) ..fwiw,Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would sell it for 800. or make a trade for one of the guns I mentioned and a little boot.
There is a gunshow in Cape Girardeau tomorrow, I may take it along and see what happens. I'm a terrible gun trader, if I usually lose a few hundred on a deal. But, I wouldn't be anything but honest with people. Old fashioned values I guess, just raised that way in the Ozark Hills