Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman sight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I saw a Lyman receiver sight on a Mosin Nagant sporter (a very nice one!) that pivoted out of the way as the bolt was cycled.

What model sight is this? What is the era that it was commonly available? I'm told that it was offered for the commercial Mannlicher rifles as well. What other models was it offered for...and when?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Lyman made their models 22 and 36 for Mannlicher sporting and Military rifles and both models had a “swiveling†aperture arm.

The model 22 was made from 1896 thru 1919, and the model 36 was made from 1907 thru 1966.

The major differences in the two is that the #36 had the “normal†Lyman slide for elevation adjustment while the #22 required you to rotate the swinging arm to screw it up or down for elevation adjustments.

The model #36 had the designation of 36-R for the military models.

Source for this is from Nick Strobel’s book “Old Gunsightsâ€... Krause Publications.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman made that pivoting peep sight between WW1 and WW2. Remember that when the Communists took over in Russia, the Czar's Government had placed a large order for MN 1891s that was in the process of being built by Remington and Westinghouse. The Remingtons that I have seen were very well made and well finished rifles. I think that they could be bought for less than $10 between WW1 and WW2. It is kind of surprising that there aren't more of them floating around.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote