Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Safari 80th Anniversary
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted
Is this rifle worth spending $12000 on? Will it ever become that collectors item everyone dreaming about? Or, should I only spend $1600-2000 one a nice item of the older standard Sako Safari?? Help me out please!!

This particularly anniversary model is number #200122 (that would be #21 of the series of 80). It has a nice wood quality. New in the box.

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, 30 years later the owners of 50th Anniversary Sakos (7mm Remington Magnum) that are "New In Box" (the guns, that is, not the owners) are asking about $2500 for them. If you run that price through an inflation calculator based on the U.S. Consumer Price Index, you'll find that that is about equal to the price they originally sold for in 1973. So, they really haven't appreciated at all.

I have mentally kicked myself for passing one of these 50th's up that I found in the mid-80's for around $800. But while it would have been nice to own, I would have used it as a shooter, so it might be worth $1500 or so on today's market -- not the kind of financial appreciation that great fortunes are built from. Of course, there were 1000 of these made, in contrast to only 80 (as I understand your post) of the 80th Anniversary model, so that might make a difference.

In general, it is impossible to predict the future "collectibility" of a currently manufactured firearm. Besides, the market for $12,000 guns of any description is pretty "thin", so it's not like dumping a stock when the time is right.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for that kind of money you could get a nice doublegun that would appreciate

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO you would be crazy to pay that for one and I have owned hundreds of Sako rifles in my day.
There are good but not 12 large good.
You can't live long enough to ever recoup on that.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote