Find
Notify
Tools

How many is enough?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cyclotronjunkey
posted
I hope this is the right place to post this.
I was reading a post over at Rimfire central that got me to thinking. People were posting pictures of there rimfire rifles. Nothing wrong with that, however some had 10 or more of the same model rifle. Hey I’m not one to argue with what other people do, it’s just hard to get my head around, that many of the same rifle in the same caliber. I have several rifles in the same caliber, but different brands and most fill a specific niche. Am I the one who is missing something……anyone here have that many of one particular gun and if so what were your reasons?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no ryme nor reason for gun collecting. It is a love of that type of firearm no matter what it is. There also is no limit on the amount. That is determined by the collector. If i could afford it i would by every left handed model 70 winchester i could, even if i had 10 of every caliber. That is how much i love those rifles. Unfortunatly all i have is 3 and i want them all.

Posts: 81 | Location: whidbey island | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the point of owning M1 Garands if you don't have enough to use the stacking swivels?

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the term "endless variations on a central theme..." comes to mind.

Hank Williams kid owns over 125 SAA's.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's no such thing as too many guns or too much ammo.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
One or two more, that's all. Does that mean I need to buy TWO more Garands? Damn the bad luck.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I know High Standard collectors that have one or more of every catalogue gun and several factory and gunsmith custom varients. The only limit is space and money.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cyclotronjunkey
posted Hide Post
I guess I am just a young pup at this gun collecting stuff. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never really seen any practical reason to over collect things such as mentioned. I suppose if I was a country music super star I could afford to be impractical but I am not. I do however, have a very functional collection of niche firearms but did just recently purchase an heirloom grade rifle in 30-06 that will probably never be hunted.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you collect something you need at least one for every grandkid.

Beyond that, who cares, so long as it makes them happy, and they are spending their own money.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
The question is answered by a different question.

How much room do you have for gun safes?

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you look at your collection, then look through periodicals, auction sites, shooting sites, local gunstores and gunshows, and you find nothing that interests you enough to add to your collection, then you have enough.
I honestly hope that I never get to that point!!!

Posts: 1648 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a reasonable compromise is one per ten square feet of house and garage and shop you own.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older you get the less becomes the number.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sometimes collecting begins to feed itself. I have a collection of world war 1 and 2 infantry rifles. This gives me a k98k and a GEW98. then I found a deal on a '91 Mauser. Now I'm looking for a '93, '95 and '96 to fill up my mauser collection which is an offshoot of my original collection. oh, and I need an M71 mauser also, to fit my Irish and mauser collectionsSmiler

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is AMERICA, and its nobodys frickin business.

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
How many is enough?.....I can't count that high!
Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre '64 Win. Mod. 1894. There are a lot of variations. I have a hard time passing them up.

<generalwar>
posted
Its never enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just one rifle away from being happy.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
My wife once told me "Honey, you can't have too many guns". What a wonderful woman!

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'm on the 12-step gun addiction program...at step one. Just 11 more and I promise I'll quit, HONEST!

But if I fall off the wagon I'll call one of you, and I'm sure you'll put me back on the straight and narrow.....straight and narrow, like a rifle bore....

beer

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a guy in New England that is a contract Mauser collector (meaning he does not collect Nazi versions) 4 or 5 years ago was the last I had heard of him and he had over 300 then.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a customer that owns one of almost every variation of every colt product.

Pistols, rifles, and now he is working on machine guns.

I went over to his house one afternoon, he has over 10 safes. His one pistol safe has well over 200 Colt pistols, all are 98% or better in the original box.

He has 1911's from every manufacturer except Singer. He has almost every model NM 1911.

The list goes on. In an average month he transfers $4000 to $10,000 in firearms through me. If I could transfer NFA items that number would triple.

When is enough enough?

I am happy with one drilling, one custom mauser, and one custom 1911. I have a few military small arms from the 20th century. Will I have more? Someday.

But like 22WRF said, as you get older... that number goes down. My grandfather has a Winchester collection that just blows my mind. Now he goes to gun shows to see what his guns are worth. He has started selling the "extra" off.

It is all for fun. Some people just take it a little too serious Smiler

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1481 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I get older and am running a lean program, I want to shoot more than accumulate. I wish there was more to hunt or shoot with the guns I have.

Posts: 70 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My brother likes butter pecan ice cream and will eat it everyday. The amount he eats is totally relevent to how full his stomach is before he starts. Is this wrong? Not to me it isn't but then I kinda like butter pecan too. I see absolutely no difference in that and collecting guns except the cost factor. Almost everyone I know satisfies themselves to excess in some manner or another. Far be it from me to either understand or judge. I'm as guilty as the next.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have one collection I would call "complete", but it really isn't... I have one of each of the four original stainless Ruger Redhawk calibers in both barrel lengths, for a total of eight. I know they offered them in blue as well, but finding a blue 45 Colt 5-1/2" would be too costly, and too time consuming, assuming they made one... so I limited the collection.

As for the original question, I think only one (or two or three... or maybe four) would be enough.

The truth is, the "affliction" we have cannot be cured, but there is an incredible support group!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best suuport group I've ever found is the AR Classifides.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like tring out rifles shooting various cartridge . So I v ended up with 17,20 22,24, 25,26, 27, 28,30, 33 and 41 caliber rifles. Im not a collector but got to try out the new 17 Hornet and 5.7X28 MM when a rifle brand comes ouy that I like.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Just when I think I have enough something else comes along. . . . . . Big Grin