New
Find
Notify
Tools

P38
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend has a P38, Serial #6960. This is an older model. Double action 9mm. It has 358 or 368 on it,also tac44. He is not sure what its worth,but would like some sort of an idea. He wants to trade this pistol off for a long range rifle,if possible or will sell it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Posts: 557 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 69deer:
A friend has a P38, Serial #6960. This is an older model. Double action 9mm. It has 358 or 368 on it,also tac44. He is not sure what its worth,but would like some sort of an idea. He wants to trade this pistol off for a long range rifle,if possible or will sell it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

I'll take a stab at this, probably you would be better served if Edmond or one of the others that post here with more knowldge of the P38, etc. would come on and add more info.
Not sure about the 'tac 44' but the 'ac' would indicate mfd by Walther and the '44' would be the year it was made. The '358' or the '368' should be under a stylized eagle and would be the waffenamt stamp.
AS to the worth, consider this: Does the piece have import marksings or not? Does it have any Cyrllic characters indicating capture and rework by the Soviets? Any of these would detract from the value while all matching numbers, a correct (Military or police issue)holster, any documentation re 'bring back' papers, extra clip with S/N, etc would add to the value to a collector.
Go to http://www.gunsworld.com/walther/p38_ac41.html
and you may find this info helpful.
We'll see what else comes along.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TrapperP, Thanks so much for the info. Thats alot more than what we knew.

Posts: 557 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WaA stampel is 359 not 358 on Walther made P 38.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Here's one I picked up for less than $300. Made in 1944 by Mauser. It came with the holster and extra mag.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote