New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advise on starting a new collection
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking at purchasing some rifles for 2010 to start a mini collection (very mini) of rifles and would appreciate some advice.

My thought is to start with pre 64s of various calibers. I've noticed that the pre 64's seem to garner the most attention with gun enthusiasts.

I really love wood vs others but am open to either. The new synthetics do look good but as this would be for collection purposes it seems wood would be the only way to go.

I have several shooters now - 270, Sako 300 wsm, new Bansner's 300 wsm, a 338, and a custom 375 along with various shotguns. These are what I use for my N Am and African game.

What are your thoughts on starting a collection with the pre 64's?

What should I look for ie been tapped for scope or round count or age specific?

What about scopes for each? I currently make sure each rifle I own has its own scope. I've noticed most collectors don't scope theirs. Does that matter?

To pin it down some more, I'm thinking of purchasing 4 to 5 nice pre 64's and one very nice shotgun over the course of next year. I just would like some professional advice before making this move.

Thanks!

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do your homework before you buy a Pre'64 Model 70! Or take somebody that knows these guns well. The differance between an original gun, and one that has been modified after it left the factory would be several hundred to several thousand dollars. These are the finest magazine guns ever made. I have enjoyed collecting, shooting, and hunting with them for many years know.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Find something that appeals to you and start collecting it. You are real late in joining the party for the Pre-64 Model 70's, so be careful. There is a cottage industry of fakery going on so be certain you know what you are looking at.

Following are some of the neat 'niche' collections I've seen...

-Bolt action Remington rifles in 30-06
-Armalite shotguns
-Remington .22 semi-autos
-Browning 'Double Automatic' shotgun
-Winchester Model 50 and Model 59 collections
-Savage handguns

The list could go on and on. Depends on how deep your checkbook is. Pick something and commence the quest!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't see "Model 70" anywhere in the original post. The pre '64 Win. Mod. 1894 is highly collectible. But there are a lot of variations in this model.

You can read up, go online, etc. I have a Mod. 1894 Win. It's 1958 mfg. "fair" condition, without blue, but solid and functional. I bought it more out of nostalgia than for a collection. I don't shoot it.

There's an 1894, mfg. 1899 in the shop, hex barrel, nice shape, $1450. I don't need another old gun.

But then it's not the Bill of Needs. It's the Bill of Rights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are going to be in serious competition for even "nice" P64 Model 70's. The last runs seem to have some interest. Especially big bores. Maybe try those, or for something a bit less mainstream (read easier to find), NIB WSM/WSSM's.
In twenty years collectors will be fighting over the remaining NIB specimens if history is any judge.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre '64 Mod. 70 Win. runs serial numbers to 700,000.

Post 1968 Mod. 70 Win. runs numbers with a prefix "G" . . .

The Win. 1894 is more collectible I think, w/ nice wood, features (lots of variation) and a saddle ring.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Better buy sooner than later.Prices are escalating everyday.My BIL bought a 1895 mfg, model 1894 winchester takedown ,in 30WCF,(30-30)a few years ago(seems like),in pristine condition for $600.Try to buy one now. Eeker

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best advice on collecting that I ever heard is to collect only what you personally like. Be it firearms or sugar bowls, if you don't like it, leave it.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote