Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on a old I. Hollis And Sons Rifle
 Login/Join

posted
HI. I'm new here and looking for some info on this I.Hollis and Sons rifle. It loads from the breach by a door that swings to the right side of the gun.The barrel is rifled but there is no caliber/cartridge stamped on it and is over .5in. in diameter.The only thing stamped on it is I.hollis and Sons-London-It is not a percussion cap ignition but does have a firing pin ignition.Looking for any info I can find on it or where to look.I'll try to post a pic.. Thanks! Edd http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/sniper2u00/100_0735.jpg

Posts: 5 | Location: north west Illinois | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[/IMG]

Posts: 5 | Location: north west Illinois | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here is one more.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I know diddley about them, but I was watching History Channel the other day and on Tales of the gun, they were on the topic of English military rifles. I believe that your rifle was a conversion of a percussion muzzleloader(brown bess?) Anyway, that looks like what was referred to as the Snider Conversion to a metallic cartridge. Sorry, I no no more, hope this helps in some way! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 348srfun
posted Hide Post
It does look like some type of Snyder action. No way of telling the cartridge used from photo but many were 577. A good chamber cast and a "Copy of Cartridges of the World" would answer that Question.

Charlie
Measure twice, cut once

Posts: 25 | Location: S E Georgia | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have some little experience with that action in that when I was 12 years old, two "friends" of mine talked me into taking a midnight tour of the Canadian Museum at Fort Erie, Ontario, where we "liberated" three of these in military configuration. I was taken to municipal court and given one year probation and that ended my life of crime but never diminished my love of firearms. It does use a paper cartridge and a standard musket cap to ignite the charge. Other than that, I can't tell you anything else.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Looking at it again, I believe I'm messed up on that one, it does use a firing pin not a musket cap like the ones I'm familiar with. Same kind of breeching system tho.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote