New
Find
Notify
Tools

SUPER GRADE PRE-64 WINCHESTERS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are the Super grade pre-64 Winchester mod 70's a better rifle than the standard versions or do they just have a better looking stock and better polish and blue. They seem to command a much higher price.

US Navy RETIRED
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 526 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes, and yes. They didn't make near as many Supergrades, as compared to the Standard Model. In the Featherwieght even less. Collectors will pay a premium to obtain one. My favorite Supergrade style would be the one made from 1955 until the end of the Supergrade production. These guns featured rust blued barrels, and engine tuned bolts, and followers with the higher combed stocks. Most prefer the Pre War style. So, it is just a matter of taste. Just do your homework before you purchase one of these fine rifles. The Rule book is a must for the Model 70 Collector. It brakes down the Supergrade styles quite well.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
engine tuned bolts

What is this exactly?

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeweled.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wapiti22:
Are the Super grade pre-64 Winchester mod 70's a better rifle than the standard versions or do they just have a better looking stock and better polish and blue. They seem to command a much higher price.

Be aware that there are a lot of fake Super Grades floating around. In the 1970s and 1980s Super Grade stocks were readily available after the factory sold off the Pre-64 parts. Floorplates were available too plus there were guys creating them from Standard floorplates. As a result, many Standards were converted to Super Grades by changing stocks and floorplates, especially for rare calibers where the price difference between Standards and Super Grades was considerable.

Original factory Super Grades are really great rifles. The problem is finding them. Pre-war Super Grades are very, very scarce and very high priced.

Picture of 7x57enkidu
posted Hide Post
How much is a 1957 mint unfired 270 supergrade worth?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wapiti22:

Depends on what you consider a better rifle. They were NOT selected for better accuracy, but they did have a better finish of both wood and metal, and some deluxe touches/features to them.

They definitely command higher prices, and always have.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7x57enkidu:

Like all other rifles, they are worth whatever a purchaser is willing to pay, which in large part depends on why the buyer wants it.

And like all other rifles, generally speaking the quicker the seller wishes to sell, the less they are worth. If the seller has all kinds of time and doesn't care whether the rifle sells or not, he can put a much higher price on it and eventually some one will buy it for that higher price.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7x57enkidu:

Your "mint" may not be my "mint." To me, "mint" means flawless. Very few M70s are flawless. Those that are command very high prices.

A truly mint, original 1957 Super Grade 270 could be a $2750-$3000 rifle to the right buyer.

If it's a 95% rifle, $2000 might be top dollar.

posted Hide Post
Love to find one