Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: W H Richards of Liverpool are an old company
 Login/Join

posted
This is certainly not a "famous name" British gun company and if I recall correctly the original company went out of business in the mid 1990's some time and the rights to name ect was later bought by a third party for trading purposes. If I am correct, they are no longer based in Liverpool but moved up north somewhere, near York or Leeds I think.

Lots of British company's bought in "working grade" shotguns and stamped there own name on them. It was the same with shotgun shells in so much as it was possible for many country ironmongers to sell shells with "their" name on them; god only knows where they were actually produced!

Many of these work grade shotguns were actually quite nicely made boxlocks although very plain..There were however lots of "dogs" out there as well.

I am assuming this is a box lock with damascus barrels? Any proof marks on it? If so, you can date the gun from these.

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, it's not an English Wesley Richards. It started as an inexpensive gun made by a maker trying to capitalize by using a name similar to a quality maker. Basically a low quality piece of work. The use of near copy cat names was common by Belgium makers in the late 1800's and possibly a bit beyond. Just told a gent to use the one he had (same name as your gun) that it was a wall hanger at most and should have the firing pins removed to protect the unknowing.

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
... Also bought stuff from Belgium, as in his ZAR Martini rifles, which were assembled on Francotte large cadet-type actions. And I don't mean Francotte-designed (of course), but Francotte-made, as evidenced by some action markings. The Francotte records, by the way, were destroyed when the original company went bankrupt in the 1970's - lots of sensitive material in there probably, that could have embarrassed some top brit gunmakers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a shotgun marked W. Richards and contacted the Westley Richards Company and supplied photographs. First off they said they never made a gun marked W. Richards. They also said the proof marks were the biggest clue to identifying it--Belgium made--not by them. They also supplied a reprint of an ad from a hardware store I think in Missouri around 1880 that would stamp whatever name you wanted on a cheap Belgium shotgun. Westley Richards Company said from the number of inquiries they get,W.Richards must have been a popular name to stamp on. This shotgun did have some above average work like a carved horn butt plate,but it is not a Westley Richards that commands high dollar. It had Damascus twist barrells and I think wallhanger would best describe its use. BTW the importer here in the U.S.--dont remember now who was the importer at the time could supply no information was their answer before I went direct to the Westley Richards Company--this was 12-15 years ago.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention,I did ask Westley Richards Company about the guns value. They said they wouldn't think over $50. That might be arrogance on their part like asking Rolex what a Seiko is worth and them saying $5 ? They did send me some brochures of their guns,and they are proud of them.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just examined a muzzle loading double shotgun marked W.H. Richards. I am not certain of the bore but it might be 14 gauge. In any event this was a well made piece with quality wood, fitting and engraving. Unfortunately I was unable to find any indication on the exposed surfaces as to where it was made. Certainly a different cut of cloth than the W. Richards I had previously referred to. Perhaps this was a gun finished by the English maker, perhaps not.

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote