Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older Winchester Model 70 Pre War
 Login/Join

posted
Hello Riflemen: I have a rifle that was given to me by my father in 1957. It is a gem and although well hunted with in good condition. It has a few odd details about it that I have never gotten an answer about. It's serial # is 26xxx and it has a 20" stock barrel. It is marked .30GOV'T06 on the barrel with New Haven, Conn. markings. I assume this is a carbine but would like to know what its original use was designed for? Woods rifle, War, etc. Any response would be appreciated. Jim

Posts: 24 | Location: Medford, Or. | Registered: 10 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
A Pre '64 M70 with the serial number you mentioned would be considered a Type I rifle according to Roger Rule's book THE RIFLEMANS RIFLE, those being built between 1936-1947.

The M70 was itself an evolution from the M54. The design style was military influenced, but the market was primariliy sporting and came about from a need for change in a post WWI business model.

You mention this being a "carbine" so I'm not quite certain why. The M70 is a bolt action rifle, as opposed to the lever-action carbine as a 1873 or M94 would possess. Perhaps you can elaborate.

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote