Find
Notify
Tools

I.D. a S/S hammer shotgun
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
In a gun shop today I saw an antique shotgun that needs identification. Appears to be a 12 gauge, side by side, fluid steel barrels (?)typical splinter forearm. The only markings I could make out was 'Nitro Hunter' on the left side and some patents dates on the other (1902 appears to be the last patent date listed...lighting was bad and I didn't have a magnifying glass).

Two most distinuguishing features were the two 'straight' hammers into the rear of the block....they resembled hammers on an early Winchester Model 37 single shot. And on the right side of the action was a round hinged cover that upon opening exposed access to a pin. It sort of resembled a patchbox cover on a Kentucky rifle.

Any ideas?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Couldn't find a photo on any of those links. I'm no old side by side shotgun buff, but I've seen quite a few and never with this style of hammers and the little port hole hatch. It could well be a Belgium made gun imported for some hardware chain.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can, pop the forearm and look at the underside of the barrels and the water table. If it's Belgian (or other Euro) there will be proof marks that will maybe tell you more. Post a pic or two if you can, I'd like to see it.

I recently purchased a 10ga hammer gun marked John Buckingham on the locks and "London Laminated Steel" on the rib. It's a Belgian "fake" of an English double, and a pretty good one at that.

Ever heard of a San Joaquin Field Gun? I'm looking at one, but I can't find anything info on it anywhwere. I haven't had a chance to look at it closely as yet.

Be careful, old double guns can be addicting.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote