New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bordered fleurs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This was fun, putting some fleurs on a custom left hand Ithaca 37 clays stock made out of claro, featuring a big palm swell. 20lpi for extra grip, laid out with an Ullman Titan and finished with hand tools. I drew the fleurs based on the factory stock pattern and cut a single line border around everything. My original plan to do the border failed so I ended up just eyeballing it with a veiner. Stock was made by Neale Flynn: https://www.nealesstockcraft.com/home

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work Evan, thanks for sharing. I've tried my hand at checkering and learned early on that I don't have the temperament. I also had trouble keeping straight lines straight on a curved surface. I admire those fleurs, good job.

Posts: 510 | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow' that's some fine work!
I am in awe.

Posts: 468 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Next time try the same using a Mullard bordering tool!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41870 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...did plenty of "flower de lilly" since at one time it was sorta expected on a "custom stock"

While recognizing EvanK's talent with a veiner...And..it was a damn good effort...Just hope Evan uses that talent to refine the hundred or so years of evoution that defines a fine timeless high water mark

Posts: 3467 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where in MN?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!

Jim I've settled down in Mounds View.

Here's one I cut last week, just a simple point pattern on a sporting clays stock with a giant grip. Lots of coverage, very grippy now.

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like Mullard borders for most of my customs//

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41870 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can cut mullered borders but it isn't in my style to put them on everything.