New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back after many years
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bowhunted for a brief time quite a few years ago. The opportunity presents itself again and I find there are somethings I have forgotten, perhaps you can help.

My bow is an old round wheeled compound bow by Darton, 54#, 50% letoff. Using Easton XX75, 2018, 100gr heads, arrow length is 29.5" from the inside of the nock (where the string would sit) to the end of the insert (without a broadhead installed)

Question, how do I go about setting up the plunger? How far should it stick out and what weight should it be? I have one that measures 30oz. and another, 16oz. of pressure. I think thy're somewhat adjustable for pressure.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Rob, and welcome back!...

Sounds like you are describing "tuning" the bow, which is best done by shooting it and getting the arrow out of the bow properly.

As far as the springs go, I would guess that the heavy spring is for finger release, lighter spring for mechanical release, as you tend to rotate the arrow into the rest when you use your fingers. The plunger is generally set so that arrow is in line with the string - whatever offset the string has from center of the bow should be the same as the rest. When you shoot, make sure it doesn't "kick" the back of the arrow when it goes by the rest.

Really need to shoot it, adjust it, and see what works best.

Good luck, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Glad to "have you back" to the bowhunting community!
Like Bill mentioned, if you are shooting fingers start with the heavier or the two.
First set your nock point on the string about .25 to .38 above sqaure of the rest.
Next.... nock an arrow and set it on the rest. While pointed the arrow away from you, align the sting to the center of the bow. Then adjust the rest in or out to "split" the arrow with the string. Close one eye when doing this.
Your string on this older bow probably is not in the center, but get the arrow and the string aligned.
Step back about five yards from a target and shoot a bare shaft. If you are right handed, and the nock ends up left of the impact point, move the rest to the right. If it high, move the nock down.
When you get it so the arrow is in the target straight, back off to ten yards and shoot a fletched arrow and make the same adjustments if needed.
Now........... if add your hunting head to an arrow.
From ten yards from the target, set up a piece of news paper streched between "something", so you can shoot thru the paper and into the target. The paper should be about 10 FEET in front of you. If things are set up right, you should get a hole with vane/feather and blade cuts. If not, you will see where the point hit and the shaft tears the paper, then the vanes cut thru. Make the same sdjustments as above untill you get a single hole.
If you have a good pro shop close by, you noticed I said "good", they should beable to set it up for you in less then an hour and for a few bucks.
Good luck and have some fun.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote