Find
Notify
Tools

Where to Start??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello All,
I'll keep this as short as possible. I'm a firearms guy that is pushing the big 50 and want to get started in bow shooting. I've done a bit of research and the confusion factor is giving me a major headache.

I want a good compound bow for target / competition shooting. I don't hunt anymore so that's not a consideration. I'm confused (easily) about things such as bow length, sights, cams, rests, risers, arms, etc etc.

I always prefer to buy something beyond my level and grow into it. I don't want a 'starter' bow but rather a higher end setup that I will learn to appreciate and will keep for years. I've read a lot of posts about brands and am more confused than ever.

I live in the boonies and there are no pro shops within 75 miles. Can anyone point me toward a good bow that will last, fit and perform. I apologize for asking such basic questions but I have to start somewhere. I've heard different opinions about shorter bows vs taller bows and would appreciate any feedback.

I'll spend most of my shooting time in the back yard (~20 acres) trying to learn the ropes. Any opinions on rests, sights, releases, would also be appreciated.

Can I measure my draw length with a tape measure in the shooting position? I may have to mail order a bow and I want to make sure it fits (I hate sending stuff back). I was leaning toward a taller bow but recent articles have me wondering. Speed is of course a factor and I would rather have a fast bow that I need to get into condition to shoot properly than a slower bow that fits my current capabilities and I would outgrow soon.

I'll leave it at that and hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for helping out a new guy.

Cheers,
XWind

Posts: 203 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Xwind
there used to be a old fellow down by Vidalia that tought me every thing i know about the bow(i still could fill a book with things i don't know). the fella's name is Ansel Adams. when he sold me a bow he let me try every one that he had and had me set them up as i went. when i bouhgt arrows from him he helped me make them myself. if you ever get down that way i would pay him a visit. it will be worth the trip if he is still there. oh yeah it's a pawn shop not a bow shop. i got my first robin hood in his little shop.very great guy.
i currently own a hoyt MT sport. it would be considered a starter bow . but it has a 8 3/8 brace hieght and is very forgiving, and is fast although not as fast as the latest bows.
apperently you can change the draw length on a hoyt yourself without a bow press.
i have used both carbon and aluminum arrows and like the carbon ones a whole lot more. they don't get bent.
i hope that any of this may help but i think you would do well to go to a shop and look and ask questions because there is alot of stuff to archery.

[ 08-11-2003, 06:21: Message edited by: nicshorse ]

Posts: 52 | Location: omaha | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
1st - "a higher end setup that I will learn to appreciate and will keep for years" don't count on it! [Wink]

I'd bet you didn't find & shoot one rifle for the last 40 yrs. Bowhunting/Archery is no differant.

For what you've described, shooting around the farm, no hunting and maybe competing. Your're looking for a 3-d rig, not a hunting bow.

I suggest a bit longer axel to axel lenght for stablitity, 40"+. Moderate speed for arrow control(around 250fps). A lower draw wt. 50# , so that you can shoot all afternoon without getting tired. Get a 3-d lenght stabliizer. An adjustable sight with a single fiber optic pin. A back tension release. And of course 3 doz. arrows.

[Eek!] Wow! Now I rember why a scraped all that juck and started shooting a recurve ten years ago.

Go take a look at the Bowsite.com. Currently there is a comparision test of the top 5 bows. They have a shooting forum with lots of tech info.

If I can help in anyway let me know. I'm do the same thing myself. I've bowhunted mosty of my life and I'm starting to get into rifle hunting.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Picking a brand and model over the internet will be alot of fun, but when it comes time to buy it, I would highly suggest making that 75m drive to a good pro shop [Wink] Belive me, A bow that doesn't fit or isn't tuned to your liking just isn't fun to shoot [Mad] Chances are if you buy a bow off the net, it'll need tuning or some kind of work. Most shops charge a lot more $$$ if you didn't buy the bow from them [Big Grin] Not only that but a pro shop will show you how to use your new toy and they'll have you hitting bullseyes in a matter of minutes [Big Grin] They'll show you things you'd never pick up reading magazines or internet post. I know it's kinda of inconvenient, but it'll be well worth it in the long run [Wink]

I guess that's all I can add except, If the indians had bows like we shoot today, we'd be paying them our taxes [Eek!]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
XWind,

Here are a couple of links that may help you. You can call Tom nights and talk to him about your concerns, etc. Tom is not an internet sales type of guy but he knows his stuff about archery.

His phone # is 308-327-2393

click here for drawlength page.

Tom's practice tips

Tom's main page

I am not connected in any way other than I buy arrows from the guy. [Smile]

If you want more info or interesting links, email me.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I think I will find a reason to go into town and swing by an archery shop. You guys have been a great help and I really appreciate it. Have a great week.

Regards,
XWind

Posts: 203 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote