New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll - Quivers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Haven't used a Bow for about 30yrs. Decided to get back into it and have started gathering the pieces. Lots of new stuff available today that was not around the last time.

Any comments are welcome.

Question:
When you "Hunt" which Quiver do you prefer?

Choices:
1. A 3-arrow Quiver.
2. A 4-arrow Quiver.
3. A 5-arrow Quiver.
4. A 6-arrow Quiver.
5. A Back Quiver.
6. A Hip Quiver.
7. Other

Question:
If you use a Bow Quiver, do you remove it in the Stand?

Choices:
8. Yes, mine is designed to be Removable and I Remove it from the Bow.
9. No, I leave it on the Bow.
10. Other.
11. Does not apply to me, cause I don't use a Bow Quiver.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have used the same quiver for about 20 years now. It is a Rancho Safari Cat Quiver/backpack.

It holds up to 8 arrows and a days worth of gear/lunch. Yes it comes off in the tree and I hang it on a hook.

It keeps my light bow just what it is....light.

I don't have many pictures of it but here are a couple.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i urge you to take a look at the Tight Spot quiver. it isn't cheap, but it mounts so close to the bow and is massively adjustable, it some cases it helps balance the bow in your hand.

http://www.tightspotquiver.com/

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a plain old Qwickee 6 arrow quiver for 30 years, it is removable, & there is a small screw in tree bracket so that I can remove it from my bow when in a tree stand. I do not practice or shoot with a quiver on the bow. If I am hunting on the ground, I use a "holster" type quiver that holds 8 arrows. I only recall one instance in all my years of hunting where I needed more than 4 arrows; one mornng years ago with amazingly high deer activity & exceptionally poor shooting. I ultimately arrowed a decent buck on my 5th shot.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure glad I asked because I had no idea there would be that much diversity amongst everyone. Thanks for responding to the Poll.

And a special thanks to Ted, 724wd and eliscomin for your additional input.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just use a bow mounted quiver. I carry about 4 to 5 arrows. I may hunt different than you will be, on foot all day. You may be in a tree stand where you are and in that case it would be nice to have a quiver not attached to the bow

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I use a 4 arrow removable quiver on both my bows, though I don't remove them. I have tried shooting with and with out the quiver attached and think I shoot better with it attached. Adds a little weight and to my ear, has a dampening effect. I bow hunt entirely from tree stands and I have never head a problem keeping the quiver attached.
I'm sure you know this, but whatever route you go, quiver on or off, just be sure to set up your bow the way you plan on hunting. My groups go to crap if I take my quiver off because I set up my bow with the quiver on and with three arrows in it, just like I would be in a hunting situation.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adamhunter:
I'm sure you know this, ...
Eeker

Hey Adam, Thanks for the vote of confidence, but, it was about `78-`79 the last time I had a Bow. So anything you all mention to me is stuff I may or may not remember. Plus, I feel sure a lot has changed since back then and I appreciate any "Rookie" Tips you all toss in. tu2
-----

Thanks R! You bring up another question - how people are Hunting. I'll do a "Find" and if I don't see much about it, I'll crank up a Poll.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Thanks R! You bring up another question - how people are Hunting. I'll do a "Find" and if I don't see much about it, I'll crank up a Poll.

What do you mean, "How people are hunting." It's going to vary from region to region.

Out west and other parts of the world, quite a bit of hunting is done by spot and stalk.

East of the Mississippi, I've found more people sit in treestands overlooking game trails, food plots, bait piles and water holes.

And of course, some people are using pop-up ground blinds or semi-permanent blinds built from natural materials on hand in the area to hunt the same game trails, food plots, bait piles and water holes.

In answer to your original question, I have a TightSpot Quiver that I keep on my bow all the time. I used to use an old Quikee Quiver and I'd clip it on my bow, then attach it to a bracket screwed into the tree I was sitting in. But I found with the correct quiver, you can shoot well with it on the bow, and you're not fumbling around for another arrow if you miss on the first shot. TightSpot Quivers are NOT cheap, but they are very good and I love mine.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shof:
What do you mean, "How people are hunting." It's going to vary from region to region.

Out west and other parts of the world, quite a bit of hunting is done by spot and stalk.

East of the Mississippi, I've found more people sit in treestands overlooking game trails, food plots, bait piles and water holes.

And of course, some people are using pop-up ground blinds or semi-permanent blinds built from natural materials on hand in the area to hunt the same game trails, food plots, bait piles and water holes. ...
Hey Shof, Your answer was exactly what I was talking about. I went to the "Find" function above and located all kinds of info on the Styles of Bow Hunting - just like what you said.

Also appreciate the info about the Tight Spot Quiver. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a longbow, which is light and I prefer to keep it light and delicate to the hand. More importantly,if I am in a tree stand with an arrow nocked and on the shelf and the bow is across my lap the bow quiver rests on my legs and is less comfortable. I also think that positioning a bow with the quiver on sets you up to rub the fletching against something and spook the animals on the ground. I have used Catquivers of several different sizes for years and they are just great for tree stand hunting. In an African blind I usually follow the same ideas but go to an inexpensive hip quiver which holds 6 arrows and can be leaned against the blind or safely placed on the ground. Once again this leaves your bow free of things that might make noise as you manuever for a good position.

Posts: 29 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey S Goldsmith, A buddy of mine was just telling me last night that he uses a very old Leather Hip Quiver when practicing. And a different buddy mentioned the Cat Quiver like you and Ted.

Lots of good options from everyone and I sure appreciate it. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have an old Kolpin 6-arrow removable on my Hoyt--so old it is on its 3rd foam insert in the hood, and I just made a new arrow gripper part out of a WM flip-flop--and no comments about the color. It was on sale for $1.00. (Click Pic to enlarge).

I have a Mathews T-5 on my Mathews Outback--only thing I don't like about it is the fact the arrow hood is not deep enough to cover the broadheads I use (Bear Razorheads) and a bit of the cutting edge is exposed.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dustoffer, Quite ingenious! tu2

When you went to cut it to shape, did you just use a Knife?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I take no credit--another archery site poster clued me in--works great and is cheap. I took the old one, traced around the outside and marked the holes. Then I took a cut-off section of aluminum shaft small enough to allow for "gripping" my current shafts, chucked it in the drill press, and cut the holes. Then I finished cutting everything out on the bandsaw.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that Tip. I'll have to store that in my Long Term Memory. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer back quivers, having tried them all. It suits our hunting best.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I have used the same quiver for about 20 years now. It is a Rancho Safari Cat Quiver/backpack.

It holds up to 8 arrows and a days worth of gear/lunch. Yes it comes off in the tree and I hang it on a hook.

It keeps my light bow just what it is....light.

I don't have many pictures of it but here are a couple.

That's what I used. I would strap it to the side of my Loggy Bayou stand (where I could reach an arrow if need be) when hiking in, then strap it to the tree once I was up

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HC,

This truly a personal preference.

Shooting traditional, I have used bow, hip, back quivers. But what I have come to prefer is a quiver mounted on the bow. A couple of reasons why.

1. I like the additional weight and balance on my stickbows. I simply shoot better with the added mass.

2. One less piece of equipment to account for, you always know where it is at... attached to your bow.

There are pros and cons to every style. So there is no correct answer for you, except to figure out what you like.

Just make sure that all the blades on the broadheads are protected so you don't accidently cut yourself, or a hunting partner.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
HC,

This truly a personal preference.

Shooting traditional, I have used bow, hip, back quivers. But what I have come to prefer is a quiver mounted on the bow. A couple of reasons why.

1. I like the additional weight and balance on my stickbows. I simply shoot better with the added mass.

2. One less piece of equipment to account for, you always know where it is at... attached to your bow.

There are pros and cons to every style. So there is no correct answer for you, except to figure out what you like.

Just make sure that all the blades on the broadheads are protected so you don't accidently cut yourself, or a hunting partner.

I also shoot traditional and use this same line of thinking.
I also shoot with them on all the time so it becomes second nature, I have bow quivers on all my stickbows...not 1 that I swap from bow to bow.
Just my 2 cents worth...probably not even worth that much.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. Amazing amount of diversity among everyone.

posted Hide Post
For big game hunting I use a bow quiver. Take it off while in a tree stand, mounted when I'm still hunting / stalking.

When roving, stump shooting, bird hunting and small game hunting I use a back quiver.

rudyc

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote