New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best fletching jig
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering buying a jig to do my own fletching. I want one that is reasonably priced. I will only use it to do a dozen arrows a year. Any advice on which model I should get? I am also wondering which brand of fletching is the most durable. Is there are large difference in weight between the different brands?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's that time again!!

I use an Arizona...I'm pretty happy with it. They make them for Al and carbon arrows and they won't interchange. I usually use Bohning fletching and it seems to work fine with thme. Feathers may not work as well.

Good luck!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I've used the Jo-Jan multi (6 arrows at a time) for 10 years, I'm very happy with it. It's easy to use too.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Bitzenburger that I've had for over 30 years. No complaints, and if you are only doing a dozen shafts per year, production isn't a consideration.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I've got the Plastic Arizona Jig (The one that does one vane at a time), I'd get a better one next time I buy. This one is ok but, when fletching carbon arrows the tips of the vanes don't press down firmly and I usually have to manually glue the tips down after I remove the arrow. It works for minor arrow repairs here and there but, it's no Bitz. by any means.

In regards to Fletching, I use a Wisker Bisquit rest and I can tell how good a brand of fletching is after a few shots. I rescently purchased some AAE vanes and They aren't meant for use w/ the WB. The AAEs are very brittle and usually tear after being shot a few times through this rest. The slick type of fletchings made by Bohing are better suited for this rest. I don't know what brand of Fletching is on the PSE Carbon Force arrows I've been shooting lately but, they seem to be very tough.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Grayling jig is also a fairly decent jig.

bewilderedI also use a WB and AAE vanes and have had no problems with the vanes watsoever.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Arizona EZ Jig and Blazer Vanes and they both work great for me. I use the Carbon Express CX400 Arrows. I like the fact that if I loose one fletching it is easily replaceable with the Arizona. My friend whom hasa Jo Jann tried the Arizona with feathers and did not like it at all.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Aquavit,

If shot in a drop-a-way or prong style rest they may be fine but, shooting arrows at high speed through a bisquit will quickly tell you which fletchings are more durable.

The AAEs I'm using have the rough textured surface.

If I pull on them they snap rather quickly where as the tougher fletching I have are stretchy. Most of them are breaking but, the bases stay glued to the shaft. Maybe I got a bad batch Confused.

I think I'm going to stick w/ the smooth slick vanes from now on.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I use an Arizona EZFletch and like it. But I did make sure to get the right size - I use the "aluminum arrow" version with good results for carbon shafts from .295 and larger.

I use the Bohning 5" vanes. They weigh 48 grains for a set of three. This is significantly heavier than most other vanes. (Which tend to weigh from 24-32 grains per set.)

The Bohning vanes tend to last better than the others in my experience. They normally survive a trip through a "block" target - which happens often with my heavy arrows.

I get the flourescent red and orange ones which work well for me to see in flight.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote