THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    The Dauntless custom broadheads are here!!!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Dauntless custom broadheads are here!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This old BWB bull was shot using one of Don's arrows and broad heads.
Total arrow weight = 1100gr.
Speed = 228fps.
Distance = 20y

I shot this bull quartering towards on purpose. The arrow went in on the shoulder joint and stopped in the hip of the opposite back leg.
The BWB went down after +- 7-10 seconds while running in a tight circle.

The photos show the damage to the shoulder.
The broad head only needed re-sharpening and was as good as new again.

Fritz Rabe
Askari Adventures & Fritz Rabe Bow-hunting

Posts: 217 | Location: Musina South Africa | Registered: 08 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Thanks,Fritz.

Hope you get to try some on even bigger game soon.

Good luck!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
All the planning, effort and expense has paid off.

Full hunt report here

Now, only the grizz hunt remains to finish my 60th birthday present to myself!

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Don !

Glad you got to test the set up on a very nice buff. Sounds like you got plenty of penetration with the killer VPA broadhead !!!

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
All the planning, effort and expense has paid off.

Full hunt report here

Now, only the grizz hunt remains to finish my 60th birthday present to myself!

Well done Don! Glad all the planning and testing paid off.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing hunt done the proper way in the toughest terrain! Hats off Don! I would like to see some close-ups of your bow and rig. What poundage were you pulling & what speed did you get with the final finished arrow? My elephant hunt starts in two weeks!
JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
The bow is a stock BOWTECH 101st Airborne, pulling 73#, 29" drawlength, The arrow weighed 750 grains with a 27% FOC. The only extra is an extra string stopper. The sights are SpotHogg REALDEAL 7 pin. This gave me pins at 10/20/30/35/40/45/50 yards. My peep is a 5/16" custom, since I want to see the whole picture. The arrow was travelling at 227 fps for 86 ft-lb KE.

'Way too light for elephant. I do think that the high FOC makes the arrow more effective when things are not perfect. I'd have never tried a 45 angled shot on a Cape Buff with a 15% FOC arrow.

Good luck on your hunt!

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Don,

Been away for a while , but wanted to say congrats on a great trophy, very inspiring, all your hard work payed off, and a wonderful write up.

Look foward to hearing about the your bear hunt as well.

Matt

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Matt.

I'm pretty much useless at work, looking forward to the grizzly bear hunt.

Don_G

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
Don,
I havent' checked in in a little while, Congrats man!! that's an awesome trophy. i'm about to read your full report in a couple minutes... then i have to get some work done!

i'm glad you got all your testing done and your broadheads working!

congrats again.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Coop.

I still daydream about the mountain every day. Hard to sit in an office!

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I'm getting just the skull back to make some sort of European mount.

I'd really welcome some ideas on how to make a good-looking shield that includes the broken arrow and/or the Dauntless broadhead. An artist I ain't!

Please help me out.

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Don

I am no artist but a a staggered pedistal would look great having the skull up and back, wjth a slight cant downward, and would give you as place to display the arrow.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to look up what a staggered pedestal is! Smiler

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,
It looks like a pedistal with 2 levels, a step for lack of better words. The lower level would give you many options to display the arrow. I dont remember where I saw it, but should not be hard top find sombody with woodworking experance to create one.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Grizzly Bear Bow Hunt Report

Grizzly Bear Video

I wanted to get this pic in this thread to complete the story of the Dauntless Broadhead and my 60th birthday present to myself.

Pope & Young Black Bear, Cape Buff, and Grizzly in one year with a bow. Not bad for an old man!

I'll stop bragging, now. Smiler

Don_G

One of Us
Picture of bulbwerks
posted Hide Post
Great bear! That is an awesome accomplishment this year. Also its not bragging when you are able to back it up with nice animals.

Posts: 147 | Location: WI | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote