New
Find
Notify
Tools

fletching and rests
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My hunting buddy that used to fletch all of my arrows has moved and now I need to start rolling my own. I have switched from a quick tune to a whisker biscut rest and would like to know if there are any issues with right heli fletching or do I need to stick with straight fletching. Are there any issues related to using quick spin vanes with a shoot through rest. Help please. The sheep need shooting soon.

Posts: 56 | Location: Kona, Hawaii | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lhanson8
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot a whisker biscut, so I'm not sure on helical fletching. As far as quick spins go, I don't think they would hold up well. I have heard that the tail "kicker" can rip off when shot though a whisker biscut. I tried quick spins on my last dozen arrows, they seemed to wrinkle easily. They have wrinkled enough that I would refletch them if I was going to shoot them any longer.

A friend of mine uses 2" blazer vanes with his whisker biscut. He says the hold up better than any of the 4" vanes. WB's can be tough on vanes.

I fletched my new arrows with the Blazers and haven't noticed any difference with broadheads over the quick spins I had.

Posts: 82 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulbwerks
posted Hide Post
I used in the arhcery department at a local Gander Mountain and I can say from that experience and from fletching my buddy's arrows you need to stay with straight fletching other wise you will be tearing off fletchings pretty regularly.
Ben

Posts: 147 | Location: WI | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for tht info guys. I have gotten similar responses when I asked some of the guys at the local gun/coffee shop. The concensus seems to be that helical fletching and the whisker biscut are not compatible. Do you guys have any thoughts on the shrink wrap vanes and if there are any problems that you know of with them being shot through a whisker biscut. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 56 | Location: Kona, Hawaii | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shrink wrap are not good enough for your usual fletchings, but are great if you need to fix something is a hurry.
I shoot a whisker biscut, and use Blazers after my other fletchings tore off. I get great accuracy with them at the ranges I shoot- out to 50-60 yards usually. The biscut is great as you can't drop the arrow off the rest when you go to sleep just after the sun comes up an you get good and warm.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got an Octane brush rest which has three support points, but allows the arrow to shoot free of contact. So far this rest has performed great. Might be worth a try.

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
I shoot the WB with 2 inch Blazer vanes and they stand up very well. I put the Blazers on with a right hand helical fletch jig and it works well. Keep in mind the Blazers are a firmer fletch and a right hand helical fletch over a two in space is hardly noticeable.
Take good care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote