THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    35# traditional recurve for deer at 20 yards ???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

35# traditional recurve for deer at 20 yards ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is a 35# Striker recurve bow OK for deer at 20 yards or less ? Getting a little old for stronger pulls. Also, which broad head for this bow ?

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1583 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Problem… Buddy has a Hoyt recurve that is 35#.

We usually play around with it while we're practicing with our compounds. I do well enough at 20 and under to see no issue with trying it on a broadside,relaxed deer.

As to broadheads there are so many good ones on the market, you'll have plenty of choices. A good 2 blade is where I would start.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing to keep in mind is if the bow has 35# limbs it's only 35# at full draw length of the bow. Most old recurve's have a standard draw lenght of 28". If thats your draw lenght then no problem however if it's shorter you will be pulling less weight wich would technically make you under the legal limit

Pratically speaking if a warden were to check you and your bow say's 35# I doubt there would be a problem.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a good cut on contact broad head and a good side to side lung shot no problem.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, check state regs to make sure 35 lbs is legal. That's often the minimum, so probably not an issue. Use a 2-blade cut on impact, with maybe 2 small bleeder blades. The big multi-blade broadheads require some bow poundage to assure penetration.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank

You should also take a look at a Mathews compound bow that adjusts from 35 to 60 lbs or so.

I have found that Mathews compound bows are one of the easiest to draw back, and the compound has the advantage of a 65% to 75% let off when at full draw, making them much easier to hold back while aiming and waiting to shoot.

And as stated above I would definately go with a cut on contact broadhead, like a Mangus [I use their Buzzcut], or maybe a a Slick Trick.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are used to the recurve, you will do fine.
A good fixed head and 20yd shots will do the job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed my first deer with a Bear Polar 38 # recurve--cedar shaft - bear broadhead .

Once I got it figured out , I was HELL on doe's !

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1294 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote