THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Problems with drop away rests

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with drop away rests
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some of you might have run into trouble clearing vanes on these. I have found the bow is the trouble. I use the Ultra Rest on one bow but it will not work on another. The Trap door works on one but not the other.
It looks like cable movement is not enough or fast enough on one to drop the Ultra Rest but the bow recoils enough for the Trap Door. The other bow recoils too little to drop the Trap Door but cable movement is quick enough for the Ultra Rest.
If you have trouble with a rest, don't give up on the drop away concept. You just have to match one to your bow.
I pulled my hair to figure out the problem and learned a lot. Every bow is different and might need a different rest.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I think many times folks try to get dropaways to drop too quickly. The arrow needs to be moving forward a couple inches before the rest can be dropped with the arrow following.

Sometimes the rest just isn't fast enough. That certainly happens. When it does. You just can't get it to work.

But it certainly is possible to get some rests to drop too quickly. I had that very issue with my Muzzy Zero Effect on my Bowtech. I fixed it but initially it did indeed look like it wasn't dropping fast enough. The truth was it was actually dropping too fast and the arrow was riding the rest down.

Keep that in mind with dropaways as well.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ultra Rest was not dropping at all on the one bow. It would only go back to the cocked position and the arrow would knock it down. Cable movement was up and down too much instead of forward. Full draw would lift the rest to the fire position but the rest string would not move fast enough to allow the rest to trigger. It acted as if the bow was just let down and not shot.
The Trap Door on the other was not dropping because the bow shock is wrong to trigger it and the arrow fletch also had to knock it down.
After swapping the rests both bows work perfect.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting! I posted something a few weeks ago about my Trap Door arrow rest, where the fletching was hitting the rest. Because the fletching seems to be permanently marked I have had trouble determining whether my adjustment has worked or not! Did you adjust the trap door bfr?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I tried every adjustment but it seems the bow does not allow the pendulum to swing right.
I can gently pluck the string and it will drop but when I shoot it the arrow is what knocks it down.
I am starting to think that the rests that rise when the bow is drawn would work best but don't like the idea of having to put something to hold the arrow in place until the rest picks it up.
The Drop Zone looks interesting.
I would like to hear of everyones experiences with all of the rests.
I notice the Trap Door is no longer in the new Cabela's catalog. Maybe all the new dampened bows won't trigger it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told that Montana Black Gold is no longer making them. On the advice of this forum, I contacted them and they helped me over the phone. I have not really tested the bow (and rest) again.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
BFR,

Are you having any trouble tuning those bows with regular rest? I've had bows that were difficult to tune with contact rest and a DA did help, but my preference is a Whisker Biscuit.

Have you tried a WB? I've heard rumors about them not being accurate, but I've talked to guys that shoot competition with them and I know folks that can shoot pretty darn good w/ WBs.

Since going to WB drop tines on a couple of my bows in the last few years, I'm convinced that they are the best hunting rest for me. I've also heard ice can be a problem with them, a problem we don't have in the South.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
I use the drop zone and like it. For it to work with all my arrows without having to retune it when I change arrows(I shoot small carbons and fat aluminums) I shoot cock feather down.

I follow Rule #62.

Posts: 109 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 21 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
xm I am not familiar with the drop zone. Why are you shoting cock feather down? I was advised to shoot with it up on the trap door.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
when I change from a fat aluminum shaft to a a/c super slim it sets lower in the launching arm and will contact. This corrects that problem. I could re-tune when I change shafts, but this simplifies things for me. as far as I can tell where you index your cockfeather does not affect accuracy if there is no contact. Also I shoot some arrows with FOB's instead of vanes or feathers and my rest works with them also, so I don't want to change anything any more than I have to.

I follow Rule #62.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the rest you choose works, great. But I only posted to show some bows react different and a rest change can fix it. Expense is the big problem for me and it was lucky I had two bows to work with.

One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
A guy that works at our shop wanted to put an ultra rest on his Martin Bengal. It wouldnt work without changing the cablegaurd so he decided to leave the whisker biscut on it instead. It would be nice if the rest makers and bow companys got together a little more wouldnt it.

I follow Rule #62.

posted Hide Post
get uself a limb driver and forget the rest!!