New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bow Recommendation needed.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need recommendations on a bow for $300 or under for hunting whitetails, hogs, etc. in Texas. I am a novice, but dont want to start out with a really bare bones, low end bow. Can you also recommend your favorite, must have options?
Thanks!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post

[ 01-28-2003, 05:36: Message edited by: gsp ]

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I have owned 2 PSEs 3 Mathews 1 Jennings
1 Bear epic extreme. Getting ready to buy a
Hoyt Ultratec for Target and 3D. At this time
I shoot the PSE thunderbolt and the Mathews Q2.
PSEs are in your price range new, the others can also be bought if used. My favorite bow of all was my Mathews MQ32. Wish I never sold it!
The Mathews FX is the bow I didnt like bought it for my wife,the sight window was to small.

<recurve shooter>
posted
mule skinner are you interested in compounds ,recurves or longbows? ---- herb

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
My friend got himself a "bare bones" PSE Nova for a great price. 300$
That's Canadian rubles.
He shoots it great and it's light.
I bought a Buck master for my first bow and learned fast.
Moved on since then.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is a Parker but that is neither here nor there.

Pull as many bows as you can and decide based on what feels good at the poundage you want to shoot and your draw length. That is important to get you started. If you don't feel comfortable, it will be difficult to master any bow.

To keep quality high and costs low, I'd head to the used bow racks of several large bowshops. Often top of the line bows can be bought well under your price range. I buy my boy's bows this way.

For instance, I got a used PSE Polaris in like new shape for $75 for one of my sons a couple of years ago. He's ready for an upgrade and when he does, I'll have no problem getting my money back on that bow. [Smile]

It's quite possible to get hooked up with very good stuff, arrows and release included for what you want to spend if you look around. [Smile]

[ 01-28-2003, 12:05: Message edited by: ncboman ]

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What ncboman said!
Go to a proshop and have them mesure your draw length and then shoot EVERYTHING they have that fits you.
Then go to a couple more shops(if avaliable) and shoot somemore. At this point you will probobly have an idea of what you like or dislike and can make a decision from there.

IF there are no proshops in your area, try to find someone who can get you an accurite draw length mesurement and then purchace an inexpensive combo bow set for your first bow. Learn to shoot it and as you work your way through first year you should decide what you like and dislike. I think you should be able to purchase an entry level set for around 100-150 bucks, and glove/release and arrows and a target will get you started.

Good Luck!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote