THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    La. passes the use of Xbows......

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

La. passes the use of Xbows......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
If you hunt in Louisiana, it's now legal to hunt the archery season with a cross bow or mechanically drawn bow due to a law passed by Gov Bobby Jindal.

He also passed the use of a single shot break action rifle that has an exposed hammer and a design prior to 1900 as legal weapons during the primitive season, formerly called the Muzzle loader season. There is a list of the legal rifles on the LADFW website. TCs and rugers are not allowed. H&R handi rifles are and all of these rifles must be of caliber larger than .38.

I think a H&R in the 444 Marlin w/ the new HDY Lever-revolution would be a nice combo.

Have a Good One,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's quite a switch... Centerfires for the season formerly known as muzzleloader. I think the crossbow thing will be good for youngsters getting into the sport. The centerfire thing is awfully wierd though...

gd

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
GD, I see your point, but when you think about it there's really nothing primitive about today's bows or MLers.

IMO, if the latest and greatest compounds are allowed, might as well let Xbows be allowed as well. On the same note, if the latest and greatest in-line Mlers are allowed with the latest and greatest components, might as well allow old style CFs.

Truth be told, the new modern inline has better ballistics than a 45-70 etc anyway.

I will probably keep using my Savage ML10 as it has better balistics than the rifles allowed by the new law.

I'll use my new Mathews as well....

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's true. I'll admit that muzzleloaders are pretty crazy these days (200 yards is a breeze if you practice...). So as far as capabilities are concerned, it makes sense. I guess it's kinda like the old buffalo guns. Wink

gd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've had the 'primitive weapons' season just like that in Mississippi. It has been modified this year to allow TC encores and the caliber has been lowered to 35. I think if the deer populations continue, we will see additional liberalizations of the seasons/limits/methods.

BTW, an 1885 or B78 are also legal under those rules and my 1885 in 405 is super.

Posts: 116 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that it's to each his own, but I have to respectfully disagree that there is not a signficant difference between a cross bow and a compound bow. To me, the main difference is not in the ballistics, or even the difficulty in making the shot, but instead, the process of taking the shot. If you're sitting there with a xbow locked and cocked, all you have to do is squeeze the trigger. With a bow, you have to draw. BIG DIFFERENCE.