THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    The best sight to use four todays bows???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The best sight to use four todays bows???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a set of cobria sights I have user for 15 years on six diffret bows and thay have worked for me but I have ben thanking of geting a new set what would you recomend.or should I keep my old ones.I have been thanking fiber optic sights.Thanks.GOOD LUCK HUNTING.

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I use Extreme sights for hunting, and the
Sureloc with Extreme scope for 3D . chek out there web site. web page

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobra is good. I have em on one of my older bows.

I don't see spending a fortune on sights, which you can do these days. My favorite bow sports this sight with an extra pin and I think they are hard to beat at any price. It's on sale right now.

http://www.timberline-archery.com/default1.asp

[Smile]

[ 01-28-2003, 12:06: Message edited by: ncboman ]

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I use a simple 3 pin set up from Toxonics. It has a nice light on the side if I need it that is easy to put on or take off the sight housing.

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only beef I have with Fiber-optic sight pins, is how fragile the tend to be. I spend a fair amount of time on the ground still hunting and I have broken a couple of the fibers on think brush. I have gone back to the straight metal pins for this reason

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at a cabelas book today and seen keller treestand pendulum sight.I woder how well that would work on a bow with 60 pounds pull.

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The draw weight isn't the issue as much as if you can pull it easily without any undo motion, just lift the bow and slowly draw the string to your anchor wiht a deer or and other animal inside 30 yards watching everything around it!
The pendulium sights I understand work OK but to me it is another moving piece that can break/jam/get stuck/come loose at the moment of truth. I would recommend a fixed sight and get REAL good at range estimation for yourself and the pins on your bow.

One practice method I use is to take a target to a marked football practice field and set the target up on a yard line then go to 10 and shoot, then 15 and shoot some more. After a session like this I then take the target to a unmarked portion of the field and set it then walk away without counting strides or steps and just walk away. Stop say your range estimation out loud to commit a distance and then shoot that distance. Then step it off or use a rangefinder if you have one.
Most of all make sure that you understand YOUR concept of 15 yards and 20 yards. If you are hunting with a guide use the same process to get a handle on what they think a given range is so you can adjust accordingly.

If you know what to you 20 yards is it doesn't matter if the guide thinks it is 35 yards as long as you choose the correct pin [Smile]

Good Luck

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Ultra Fine Line sights on all of my Oneida bows. All metal construction, strong and holds a set. Haven't seen any for a while so I'm glad I bought all(10 of them) that I did years ago. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JLR>
posted
If you hunt from a treestand, then pendulum sights are great. If you mostly hunt from the ground go with a fixed pin style. I have huntes using pendulums for 30 years, |(mostly from thre trees), and would not do it any other way. To prevent breakage of the fiber optic style, I use a sight cover to protect them until I am set up in the tree.