Find
Notify
Tools

Birds With Bows
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted
I saw a video clip of guys using compound bows to shoot birds on the wing. They had a good degree of success. They used flu-flu arrows and judo points. Has any one else tried and been succesfull ?

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We shoot at arial targets occasionally. It wouldn't be too hard to get good at it with enough practice.

Were these guys using sights with the compounds? I've never seen anyone using sights for arial trick shots. That doesn't mean it can't be done though.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No I havent tried, but they do make bird heads just for this sort of t hing.
THye look like a judo point but they have several very stiff loops of wire that extend out from the head to increase the "pattern" so to speak.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt pheasant with my bow, many years ago. I used flu-flu arrows with a special tip that was made out of 4 wires that made 4 big loops. I took a lot of shots and only bagged very few birds. It was a lot of fun, even better when I finally hit one.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they did not have sights on thier bows but they did have mechanical releases. They had thier bows on a low poundage. They also had dogs to point and retrieve for them. It sounds like fun.

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Breith
posted Hide Post
Hi

I managed to shoot a turkey on the fly this year.
It was the shot of a lifetime!

Shot with regular arrows, normal broadheads, mechanical release, sights and way to much poundage.

It was the perfect setup for trying a shot like that. Were just getting ready to take a shot at a tom, when the guy that was with me took a shot at it, he missed, and the tom took of flying. I came past me at about 17-18 yards, and i had a big hilll behind it, so i figured it would be fun to try it. I really cannot remember the shot,other than it "felt" like shooting a shotgun, but the bird came hurdling down to the ground. To say i was supprised would be an understatemeant!

I will never try another shot like that, if nothing else I can always say i'm 100% on flying game with my bow!

Posts: 36 | Location: Denmark - | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow that is amazing ! did you find your arrow afterwards ?

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use my hunting bow to shoot birds in the yard with judo points. good off season practice

Posts: 55 | Location: ky | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Breith,
Are there many tukeys in Denmark ??
Congrats for the good "shooting" !!
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote