THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Home Practice Archery Range

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Practice Archery Range
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted
Home Practice Archery Range

I took some pictures of my practice range for a student last year. I thought I would share them here in hopes that it might give some of you starting out some ideas. When I help some one start in archery, I start them out the same way I did back in the 50s. I have a "B"riser Bear takedown recurve with 35# limbs. You'll notice in the first photo that it has a piece of scotch tape on the back of the riser's window with LiquidPaper marks for 10,20&30yds. I change this for each student. It depends on the distance from their eye to their anchor point- but the 10yd mark is pretty consistent for everyone.

In the next picture you'll see one of my tree stands attached to a pole and the different positions for my target. It really helps to practice from a seated, elevated position if you intend to hunt from a tree stand.

In this next picture you'll see where I can practice from an elevated standing position.

I pin life sized targets to the fence for visual reference. (no- we don't shoot at the fence) BTW- The best paper target ever made is a 9" paper plate with a 4" circle drawn off-center at the bottom. It illustrates the lung/heart shot. If you can keep it on the paper plate all the time- you'll make you're kill every time.

This is the bow I hunt with (yes I own compounds but I haven't hunted with them for years- I went back to recurves for hunting in the 80s)

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice, especially for a small city yard. You must have pretty tolerant neighbors?

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Very nice, especially for a small city yard. You must have pretty tolerant neighbors?

Ann- I've lived here since 1959. I shot competetive freestyle for over 20 years. I used to shoot 100 arrows ever night from the side door landing by my fence gate(26yds) with a light over the target. My neighbors have always known me as the guy who shoots archery. I've taught a ton of the kids in the neighborhood through the years.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Do your students continue to use sight marks to shoot, or do they learn to shoot instictively?

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Do your students continue to use sight marks to shoot, or do they learn to shoot instictively?

to each their own...
unfortunately most end up with the newest Mathews, Hoyt, etc.. compound, a release, illuminated pins and all the rest of the BS... because they're LAZY !!!! and they won't pay their dues at the practice butt.
but at least when I get through with them- they can shoot a recurve instinctively.
yes a few of them use the gap marks...( the lazy ones

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I was just curious. I learned instinctive and if I let my sight wander I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
CaptJack,

Nice setup! Can't believe I missed it when you first put it up.

I had a setup almost identical to yours up until 2 years ago. The only thing missing was the pole for the tree stand. I also had tolerant neighbors. I am much luckier now, however. I have about 12 acres, about half treed. If I had 3d targets I could set up a course. I do have a little circuit set up with my target butts though! Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote