Find
Notify
Tools

stabilizer question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nick321
posted
are these things legit? some of them just seem like they are there for looks more than anything else. has there been any studies or experiments that show they help you shoot tighter groups? i'm talking about hunting stabilizers and not the 3' long ones you see on target bows. which ones are you guys using if any at all. it seems a lot like a gimmick to me. what are your opinions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The short ones might help quiet the bow some but wont tighten your groups.For hunting IMO they're not worth bothering with short or long.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience I have found several things out about them.

First I feel they are used more for dampening vibration or balancing the bow over anything else. In the case of my first bow, it had some hand shock at the shot as well as some unwanted noise. First I went with a Doinker since the shop recommended it. After a month or so I tried a couple of others and finally I chose the TruGlo 4" Solidifier. It offered both better balance for my bow and knocked down most of the noise which was associated with the shot.

The Admiral I have now is both quite and presents basically no shock at all. Still I felt it needed a bit of balance for my taste. I tried out several at the shot and went with the Limbsaver 4.5" as it balanced the bow perfectly in my hand. I shoot with an open grip, and enjoy the fact that the bow virtually sits there at the shot. Do they help out with my groups, hard to say, I learned not to shoot at the same spot more than twice with my first bow, and the Admiral shoots much better than it.

Do they help out for every situation or need, can't honestly say. The thing is if the person behind it has confidence in them then yes they work. If they add a bit of balance or tone down a bit of noise, then yes they work.

Best thing I could offer, is to head over to your local shop, and see if they will let you try a couple of different ones out. If you find they offer you nothing, then you don't have to purchase it, but at least you know from first hand experience.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a "short" stabilizer. It's called the 6 shooter. It uses actual pistol bullets to add weight to the front of the bow. I find that it does help me to keep the bow "down" when I shoot. It also has many shock and noise reducing features.

Robert

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I used the long Easton Comp with double kick stands years ago during the days I felt I needed to shoot for a score.

I only recommend a stabilizer for getting your bow to balance or slightly tip forward. The new rubber types may reduce noise but I feel the very short length and weight do nothing for shot improvement.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote