New
Find
Notify
Tools

My "Bucket List" Buck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here's the guy I'm holding out for--I think it's the same buck, and two different spots.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With respect,
I've had more than one toddy tonight, so my perspective/judgement may be subject.
I think that is two different bucks. The first picture is a mighty fine buck. The second is better. The first is inside his ears. The second is outside his ears. The g2's, g3' and g4's are different. Look at his g4 on the right side in the second photo. It is much longer than in the first photo. Just looking I'd say the first is older than the second. But then there are two different camera angles and two different presentaitons and angle of the head and antlers. Both are shooters, but from my perspective, the second is a mighty fine stud. The photos are only two days apart, but I think you've got two different deer.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Yep, #2 has a better rack.

Both are good bucks for a bow.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neither showed this AM--only a spike, 2 does, and a young 5-pt. Back at 'em tomorrow.

I have a half dozen nice shooters coming in--but this one/two are the ones I like best--

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I agree...two different deer. Hope you get him!!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, two different bucks, I agree! And dang, I wish I had your problem.... clap

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Couple more pics--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer.

He is a good deer. Just from the pix I would think he is around 4 years or so. Wonder what he would look like in a year or two, should he make it that long.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya--this is a small place (80 ac) surrounded by small places, and there is a good bit of gun hunter pressure. I'm fortunate that the creek bottom I hunt is a travel corridor, and I see these guys cruising the bottom looking for one-night stands. Now, if they happen to wander by my stand, it will be good night--

Had a doe and a button buck in this evening--but I'll be back in the saddle in the morning-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer,

I'll bet you'll relish every minute of it also. Love to watch the birth of a new day,especially when it's cool and crisp and the wind is calm. I've lately set up tripods on the tops of hills where I can see all the way over the hilltops to the horizon. I kick back kinda in a state of semi consciousness fading in and out. One of my favorite times to be out.

Anyway,It's amazing how good those ol' bucks do at being invisible. We had a place in east Texas. It was 2 miles off the nearest road, surrounded by a 4500 acre holding. Between 2004 and 2007 I kept 3 game cameras at spincast feeders 24/7/365 for almost three years. I had several very good bucks on camera. However the only time they would appear would be between 9 pm and 5 am. Not once in 3 years did I see a picture of a mature buck in that area during daylight.

I see that now in the areas that I hunt. I'll see the deer on game cam. However more often than not I will not see them when I'm on the stand. I guess the don't get that old by being stupid or careless.

Here is an example. I hunted several areas of this 3000 acre ranch between 2003 and 2008. I kept two game cameras set up at different areas during that 5 year period IIRC. This is the only sequence I have of this buck. He came to the feeder one time while I had the camera here. IIRC the camera was at this location for several months. Never saw him in real life.

I would have love to have connected with this guy.

GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
They don't get that big by being stupid, that's for sure. Just heard this AM that the lady across the road shot a big buck last weekend (while I was in Houston). I heard two different stories--one that it was a 10-pt and one that it was a 12. Seems she looked out the window, saw him in the field, stepped to the porch and BAM! I got a look at the buck's pic on an I-phone, but don't think it was any that I have pics of--but who knows?

Had a small 9-pt come in this morning really early, and he came unglued when the feeder spun. Came back, and he was with me for the next 90 minutes or so, along with a long spike and several does & fawns.

This one is like your buck--only pic I have of him, and have never seen him in person.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the one that was shot in the same creek bottom but on the property across the road--opening weekend of gun season. Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Headin' out early in the AM. Going to my bow lease. Taking my oldest sont hunting ol' big. If he gets him, that's his Christmas present. See ya'll Monday.

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang, I wish I had bucks like that on my trail cameras! Where I'm hunting, the largest buck I've got on camera so far this year is only a six pointer that would score "maybe" 100"...

Good luck to all hunters this weekend, it's the opener of rifle season here in Tennessee, so hopefully I'll find a wandering buck!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And, looky what showed up Thursday evening--I think it is the buck in Picture #2.