Find
Notify
Tools

Fletching Arrows
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
Just bought a dozen shafts and was wondering your opinions on a fletching jig to buy and also would like any tips for a first time fletcher.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I won't use anything but a Bitzenburger.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
I second the Bitzenburger. Now all I need to do is remember who I lent it too!

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the arizona e-z fletch and it works great. Rod

Posts: 31 | Location: marlow, Ok | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredrod:
I use the arizona e-z fletch and it works great. Rod

I use this one as well. Works great!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a pair of Bitzenberger's, too. They work great. Jo-Jan's that friends use work great, too.

I recommend you get a good cement, that supports whatever materials you're bonding.

Also, the shafts have to be CLEAN. I had a bunch of re-fletch feathers fall off. I used a razor blade and rubbing alcohol on aluminum shafts, but they must not have been clean enough. A friend recommended cleaning with a mild abrasive. Comet works great.

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Kind of Off Topic but;

You may give FOB's a try with a couple of your unfletched arrows. Pretty neat invention. You need a drop away rest though.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
Use acetone on a cloth to clean your shafts if they are aluminum. When they squeek they are ready. Rubbing alchohol will leave trace amounts of contaminants, acetone will not. I started using Bohning Super Bond recently and prefer it over Fletch-tite (less dry time). Just how I do it.

I follow Rule #62.

Posts: 109 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 21 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Get a Jo Jan Multifletcher, best to put them together quickly. You also can't go wrong with a Bitz, just a lot slower.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use thick super glue from the model shop or Arizona Archery Fastset gel. Many vanes made today have an accelerator for the super glue.
Use Ajax or Comet cleanser and hot water, air dry them or use a paper towel. Do not touch the shaft where you glue.
Super glue loves water, even acetone will leave something behind.
You can glue up a shaft in 5 minutes or less.
It only takes a very thin line of super glue. If you get a lot of squeeze out, you are using too much.
No way will I ever go back to Fletch Tite or regular glue unless I am doing wood arrows for my wood bow. But I haven't tried super glue with them yet, might just work although it might not stick to the lacquer they are dipped in.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
got a bitz and love it. fletched my dozen plus friends. Next question is what is a good way to remove fletching and glue. Bought one of those so-called tools and is sucked. removes the fletching great but leaves a lot of glue.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just use a knife held at an angle where it doesn't cut into the shaft. I pull it towards me and all the glue will come off.