Find
Notify
Tools

Time For A New Bow
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted
Do to a few "Old Guy" issues, I have not pulled a bow for many years. The back has been repaired, the shoulder has been rebuilt and I can now pull my 70# PSE Thunderbolt. After a lot of practice the shock has been working on the old joints.

I wandered down to the bow shop looking into some of the new equipment. My length of pull is 31" so I am somewhat limited. I tried a PSE Vendetta and was amazed at the recoil level and how quiet it was. The shop was ready to set up anything they had but I wanted to learn more before continuing.

Sooooooooooooooo, whats the hot setup?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With today's competition in bow manufacturing, you will not really find a bad make. Many people are "brand aware". I am not one of them so if I get the urge to upgrade (not often) I go and shoot as many different kinds and models that I can. Based on that I then buy what I liked and NOT what is advertised on paper.
Every salesman and manufacturer will quickly tell you that this or that bow is better than the other.
In 27 years of active bow hunting I have NEVER seen a Bowtech, PSE, Hoyt, Mathews, Alpine, Martin etc kill an animal. Nobody takes a bow and beat the animal to death.
I have however seen many kinds of broad heads do the job. I will shoot any bow as long as I can choose the arrow and broad head.
Just my 2c.

Fritz Rabe
Askari Adventures & Fritz Rabe Bow-hunting

Posts: 217 | Location: Musina South Africa | Registered: 08 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fritz Rabe:
With today's competition in bow manufacturing, you will not really find a bad make. Many people are "brand aware". I am not one of them so if I get the urge to upgrade (not often) I go and shoot as many different kinds and models that I can. Based on that I then buy what I liked and NOT what is advertised on paper.
Every salesman and manufacturer will quickly tell you that this or that bow is better than the other.
In 27 years of active bow hunting I have NEVER seen a Bowtech, PSE, Hoyt, Mathews, Alpine, Martin etc kill an animal. Nobody takes a bow and beat the animal to death.
I have however seen many kinds of broad heads do the job. I will shoot any bow as long as I can choose the arrow and broad head.
Just my 2c.

Totally agree with Fritz.

Try as many bows as you can to find what bow you think is the one for you.
Don't care about the brand as long as it is one of the well known top brands.
They all make great bows.

I shoot 31" now myself even if my DL is a bit more(about 32").
I compensate it with a bit long loop.
If I was to buy a new bow today, I would buy one with 32" DL and long ATA.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whilst the gist of what most here profess about all the big brands making good bows I do believe that bows are different, very , very different in the way the feel and shoot !

Some are harsh in both draw and at release and some are smooth and "soft" shooting.

I have my perferences and opinion regarding this and will leave it at that.

Perhaps a simple "took a look" at world series competition line ups may give a clue as to why certain brands dominate. There is nothing like sustained shooting that unmasks "good" from "bad" .

Having shot and set up many a bow for newcomers at our club I am certain about that simple fact !

More importantly is the fact that when it comes to hunting bows many if not most are in fact overbowed.

Again simple observation on the line on shooting form will show this and prove it !

I have just completed the first step in accredited archery coaching, more for personal learning about the technicalities of archery and whilst in itself is no big feat it certainly opened my eyes to faults of my own and that of other shooters when it comes to form etc. ( The ethics and legal aspects of coaching are things i can do without but that is a whole new world to me)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that 31" draw length with fingers or release?If fingers you'll want to look at longer bows.If not you can shoot pretty much anything.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim
I'll add something to what the others have already said. Pick one of the premier brands that fits/shoots well for YOU. In my neck of the woods the next criteria is the support/service from the dealer for the brand. Everything is fine when the bow is new but what happens when you want a new factory string or need some replacements parts after you have dragged it through the bush on a tough hunt. So far this has dictated that I own a couple of Bowtech's. My latest is an Invasion CPX running at 83lbs shooting a 540gr arrow for plains game.I'm very satisfied with it's performance and compact size. The two blesbuck that I took last weekend on a great walk & stalk hunt can also testify that it works really well!
JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie P.:
Is that 31" draw length with fingers or release?If fingers you'll want to look at longer bows.If not you can shoot pretty much anything.

I use a release. A longer loop? Adjust the release? Would not a longer bow be better?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Longer bows do tend to be more forgiving.I use a fairly small loop.I experimented with the different holes on my buckle release.I found what I call the sweet spot.In one particular hole it's easier for me to maintain good back tension and the peep sights opening in relation to the sight ring is also better as well.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
The PSE Vendetta XL is a fine bow for longer draw lengths. They also make an XS which is shorter. So make sure you're checking out the XL. With your extra 1" of powerstroke that bow will be plenty fast. You'll probably push a 350grain arrow (though I wouldn't use arrows that light) set at 70lbs around 335fps.

I'm 6' 5" and I've got a 31 to 32" draw length as well. It's true, short axle to axle bows are tougher to shoot. They are even tougher if you have a longer draw. The closer your axle to axle length gets to your draw length the harder that bow is to shoot.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheBigGuy:
The PSE Vendetta XL is a fine bow for longer draw lengths. They also make an XS which is shorter. So make sure you're checking out the XL. With your extra 1" of powerstroke that bow will be plenty fast. You'll probably push a 350grain arrow (though I wouldn't use arrows that light) set at 70lbs around 335fps.

I'm 6' 5" and I've got a 31 to 32" draw length as well. It's true, short axle to axle bows are tougher to shoot. They are even tougher if you have a longer draw. The closer your axle to axle length gets to your draw length the harder that bow is to shoot.

I have to agree with you. Picked up the Vendetta today after shooting everything my shop had. Put about 50 arrows through it this afternoon, things are working out very well. Tomorrow I will put another 50 or so and then go to work on paper although I don't think it is far off.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA