THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Looking to go bowhunting for feral hogs....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to go bowhunting for feral hogs....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking to go bowhunting some hogs in either Texas, Louisiana, or Alabama and am wandering if anybody out there has any suggestions on where to go, who to call(guides or ranchers that are having hog problems), what to bring(anything really specific), anything that you may feel to be important. I am from Wyoming and have never done this before but looking forward to it. Thanks for your time.
Good hunting.
Lion

Posts: 43 | Location: Palmer College of Chiropractic,Iowa | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add it will be during this the end of December and into the begining of January '04. I am going to be my recurve. Very excited.
Good hunting.
Lion

Posts: 43 | Location: Palmer College of Chiropractic,Iowa | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Lion, you did not say where in Texas, but if you are around Dallas, give William Nixon a call at 972-867-2386. He is about 60 miles SE of Dallas. He has around 1000 acres of river bottom full of hogs that you can hunt from stands or by stalking. He has a little cabin on the place that you can use also. You wont find a nicer guy! Tell him Sherpy gave you his number.
Bring your shot gun for some great duck hunting too!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bo-n-aro,

I appreciate your reply but had problems with his phone number. Could you check it again.

Thanks alot.
Good hunting.
Lion

one of us
posted Hide Post
LION! Just do a search on the net. You will find hundreds of places to hog hunt in Texas. I have researched it and found lots. And the prices are pretty resonable. I just never got the time off work to go this winter. Look for large spreads. You can combine some good fishing for bass to. Good luck and let us know.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Hogs are hunted from treestands, spot & stalk or by running hounds. The "pucker" factor increases as you get closer to the boar for your shot.

Have you considered how you'd like to hunt?

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have searched the net quite extensively yet I was interested in anyone else with experiances of a certain place or if they personaly new someone who had an over-excessive number of these critters. One of the main reason that I worded my topic as I did is becasue I am in college right now (a junior studying medical microbiology preparing to take my MCAT and get into medical school) and considering my finacial status I am really looking for the most basic, yet exciting way to go about this. I am not looking for three five-star meals a day, rather being able to camp in the hunting sight and get away from all that I am smothered in each day.
What I have in mind is to do as much
"spot and stalk" as possible. Some of the places I have found also allow and promote the hunting of the hogs at night with a "little blue light" tied to ones bow. I don't know if it is then done from a tree stand or on a bright, moon-lit night but sounds exciting.
If anyone reading this has any places to suggest or people to call I'd be greatly appreciative.

Good hunting.
Lion

[ 04-19-2003, 08:45: Message edited by: Lion ]

one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
LION, sorry for the confussion.
Try reaching William at 972-486-4841.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bo-n-aro,

Thanks for the number, William seem like a great guy. He gave me his web page address after we talked a bit about hunting from all around America. He was like talking to a hunting buddy and I look forward to talking to him again. I thank you for his number and hope things for you go well.
Good hunting.
Lion

PS: If anyone else reading this is interested in a place to go boar hunting check out:
www.nixonhunting.com

[ 04-20-2003, 08:17: Message edited by: Lion ]

<Swift Shot>
posted
Try this

http://www.sweetwatercreekbowhunt.com/

Great price close to Dallas and you can take a whitetail.

You will like it he has both free range and high fence you take the deer and hogs on the large free range and you can hunt exotics inside the big fenced ranch