Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

storing traditional bows
 Login/Join

posted
Any opinions out there one the proper direction longbows or recurves should be stored.
Vertical or horizontal?
I am building new racks for display and was wondering which is better to minimize warping.
thanks

Posts: 15 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Horizontal seems the best, and they look so much better like that.

posted Hide Post
calgary I agree but will defer to preventing warping to beauty!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Horizontal hanging in loops or on pegs that are absolutely parallel.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've allways hung them on a peg by the string.
Am I doing something wrong?
I've never had a problem and one of mine I've had for almost 36 years now. ( got it for my 16th birthday)

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ak, there are tons of people who store their bows like you do and nary a problem have I heard. I've seen some very large collections displayed like that and these guys love their bows so they woudn't do anything to harm them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hang my on a peg by the string(vertical) , never had any problems with em in my fifty years of shooting.

DO NOT stand em vertically with lower limb on the floor however. I've seen other folks bows twist the lower limb that way.

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
I've allways hung them on a peg by the string.
By this do you mean the Bow stays "Strung" all the time?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
hot core, no, not strung. the lower limb loop typically stays on while the upper loop slides down the limb. hanging the bow just under the loose upper loop.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I store them both ways. you won't hurt them. If horizontal I try to keep teh pegs close to the fadeouts. As said above don't stand them up. You can keep recurves strung but not longbows.

Good luck.

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, no unstrung as described.

you can keep a fiberglass laminated longbow strung, my Dwyer R/D Defiant stays strung all season, all four months of it.

Wood longbows get unstrung at lunch and after hunting. They will definitly take a set if left strung too long.

troy

Birmingham, Al

posted Hide Post
base on this large data base, I have decided to build it vertically. Less pretty but much less space is taken up
thanks gents.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I got it now.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I store mine horizontal. However, I have an aquaintance who makes traditional long bows. With some of the exotic woods, and even a lot of Osage, the limbs are twisted or off center. He says the important thing is that they tiller even and the back of the bow follows the grain of the wood. A straight, properly spined, arrow is more important than the bow it is shot from. And to see him shoot his bows I would agree with him.

So, moral of the story, I'd bet that the minor warp you might get from hanging a bow crooked for years won't effect the way the bow shoots.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It makes zero difference if you collect them, however...

If you want to shoot wood bows, traditional bowyers always tell me to hang them by the string on a wooden peg at least six inches from the bottom limb tip to the floor. Gravity keeps them straight.

Fiberglass backed (encased) bows or glass laminated ones cannot take a set, but they can warp.

Hang them or take your chances,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote