Find
Notify
Tools

Quiver capacity
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I just bought a Reflex Gamegetter yesterday, and I still have a quiver and hunting broadheads to buy. I notice that some quivers hold as few as three arrows. Would you be comfortable going afield for deer or elk with just three arrows? I like the idea from the standpoint of being light and compact and from the "less is more" point of view, but in the past my quivers have always held six arrows.

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I use cat quiver as my day pack. It holds as many as 8 arrows. I shoot a recurve and have a final stalker on it that hold only one arrow.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have post-ban quivers. The older-manufacture high capacity pre-ban assault quivers were proven to be a public health hazard because they were used in so many robberies and school shootings. As such they are no longer manufactured nor imported into this country unless its a special run for a police department or federal law enforcement agency.

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted whitetails for a long time with only four arrows on the bow-quiver. It holds six, but the broadheads touch a little and I'd rather be 100% sharp than to be 100% full. Only used all four once, but I was wasting them on foxes and groundhogs on a very slow day.

I also have a cat quiver that I like and use for stalking, mine holds about eight (depending upon broadhead & fletch size), but never really pack it full.

I do take extras, parts and tools in the hardcase in the vehicle or camp.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Bill, I personaly carry 6 in the old stand by Kwikee Kwiver.
But.......... if I was stand hunting for white tail in a place where I was close to camp, I would feel OK with four, but would still take six.
If I was elk hunting where I was out all day and maybe a night or two away from camp, I would never have less then 5 and most likely 8.
25 years ago I shot a spike white tail. The first shot was high and back and hit the spine. Down he went. The second shot hit his front hoof as he was flopping around!!! It shook me up so bad the third hit high again!! I only had three arrows with me because I had taken a doe the eve before and got lazy and did not replace that arrow. I had to get out of the tree, pick up the one that hit his hoof and shoot him again!! I told myself NEVER again!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I regularly go out with 3 arrows. If I can't get it done with 3, I don't need to be out there.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
My kwiver holds barely wil hold eight but I put six broadheads and one feild point in it.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I normally go out with 3, but several years ago, I had to follow up a poorly hit buck similar to what bo-n-aro had. I used all 3, and then I had to go find one to finish the job.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, after hearing your advice, fellows, I bought an Alpine Archery five-arrow Soft Loc bow quiver. If five arrows aren't enough, I guess I have no business bowhunting.

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Bill, i think you have made a fine choice. i do not have one of those but have been wanting to try one ever since they came out a few years ago.
I have a buddy that just bought the three arrow version and it really looks like a great quiver. To small, but the five would be fine.
I had a harder time convincing him about having only three arrows then we did you!!! LOL
Let us know how you like it.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
A week from tonight I'll be in Elk Camp [Big Grin]

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Kind of got to agree with JD if 3 aint enough to get the job done then I dont know.Have only ever had to use 2 before. This is of course going for one animal not "loadin" up to take a couple animals when I could see that one could do with more than 3.
Boss good luck with the Elk
Cheers from sunny S.A.

Posts: 11 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I bought an Alpine 5 arrow just a few months ago. I am new to bowhunting so I am not one to give advice but my buddies who have quite a few years experience think it is a good one. I have been going through arrows like popcorn. Need either a better backstop (rocks) or need to shoot better.

Did manage to draw an any bull elk tag this year. The area is only 50 miles from home so I can shoot over for a morning hunt during the week. runs from Sept 8 through the 21st. Am looking forward to it.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Question for you fellas who only need 1 or 2 arrows:
I bet you only take one bullet with ya when ya gun hunt too???
Anything can happen in the field. You could drop your bow and bend an arrow or two, or maybe while in your stand, drop an arrow. Why not have one or two more then you think you might need?
Its not just how many shots it takes, but just being well prepared and to expect the un-expected.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I take as many arrows as the quiver will hold - 5 with my present (Matthews) quiver.

Missouri bow hunting season is for both Whitetail Deer and Wild Turkey, also small game. I tip two arrows with 125 gn Muzzys (deer), two with 100 gn Muzzys w/shocker (turkey), one with 100 gn field point w/shocker (small game). If I run out of "deer" arrows, I can remove the shockers from my "turkey" arrows and have two more broadheads.

I watched a buddy of mine run out, kind of funny watching him try to pull arrows out of stumps to get more shots!

Good huntin,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote