Find
Notify
Tools

South Africa is wet!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We dare not complain about the rain.
My job as committee member of SABA (South African Bowhunters Association) is to organise the broad head competitions.
The last one on 14 Feb rained out. Those who braved it, got soaked to the bone. This one (tomorrow and Sunday) is heading for the same result.
We prayed for rain, and all of the Bushveld is wet. So now we must happily have a b/h comp in the rain, right?
Lochi.

Posts: 240 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Lochi,
Be happy that you are getting some moisture. Bieng a little wet is a small price to pay. It is really good for the habitat and the animals will get BIGGER (fatter). Anyway, we have had one of the wettest winters in a long time in Utah. Even though it is wet, cold, snowy and since spring is on the way, it is going to get real muddy, we need it. These poor mule deer and pronghorns are running out of habitat. Even though we had a hard winter the biologist for the wildlife dept. said that the winter kill was not all that bad. Maybe the animals will have some food this summer. By the way, have you tried the Trophy Taker drop away rests? I have one on my Martin MV2, it is a great rest and really improved my accuracy.
Take care,
Troy

Posts: 8 | Location: Ogden Utah | Registered: 04 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
My thought was that this will affect some hunting..
Especially for the small critters.. More vegetation, will probably make it more difficult.. Or will most of it fall off, before the best hunting season starts..?
Any comments?

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Troy,
You are so right. Even "too much" rain is good in the long run. It feeds the roots of the biggest trees, lifts the water tables and fills the dams.
Well, we rained out once again but trained and subscribed 25 new members for SABA!
Anders,
It much depends which part of the country, but yes, around July / Aug most falls off. Another factor is the extent of grazing and browsing.
Most important effect on bowhunting though is some temporary small drinking spots all over the ranch, preventing them from drinking where you are waiting in the hide!
Lochi.
BTW I cannot speak Norwegian, but I can say: "jag alskar djei." And when she looks shocked, I'll say "jag taler inte Svenska!"
That right? huh?

Posts: 240 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
"svenska flicca" is safer to say.

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote