THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Old eyes, suggestions please.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old eyes, suggestions please.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted
So what does every one do to overcome the inconvenience of age on our eyesight.
Been shooting for years but its getting almost impossible for me to focus on the peep the pin and the target!
Peep and pins are fine,but the blur down range!.
Lucky that I can shot 24/7 365 on anything and everything and tend to use rabbits for target practice.Only problem is i can't see them clearly past 25 m and as i shot all the way out to 50m its more good luck and form and unlucky rabbits than precise accurate shooting.
I do not wear glasses or contacts and yes i have had my eyes tested and my dominant right eye is failing way quicker than my left eye.
I want to clearly see the target as well as peep and pin, possible or just another part of the aging process that we learn to adapt to ?
My main access to any archery shop has to coincide with my annual visits to DSC and SCI which allows me access to acrhery equipment. I NEED something for my Aoudad hunt in TX in Jan.

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I would think a verifier would work. For more information, check check out the link.

http://www.specialtyarch.com/f...ball-peep/verifiers/

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1086 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know some guys have mounted red dot optics on their bow when their eyes started failing...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cross bow and a scope

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The peep I have mounted on my bow string uses a screw-in lens that can be changed to accommodate your eyes. I am far sighted so use a + lens, sounds like you are near sighted so would require a - lens? Don't remember the manufacturer but am pretty sure they are still made. I probably got mine from Lancaster.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Lasik mono vision.
Had it done bout 8 years ago and have no regrets.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Good morning highlander, just a few thoughts if I might. I wish I could examine your eyes for you but alas, am in Tennessee! Even tho you state you do not wear glasses has your eyecare provider suggested you do so? There are a lot of optical correction options out there. Even a progressive/multifocal contact lens is available..my favorite is the Alcon/Ciba. A trial run is almost always offered to see how they perform. Do you have a cataract or other eye health difficulty? Hope not but they can be nicely fixed. Is your uncorrected distance vision perfectly clear and you just need help reading at near and the intermediate distance such as computer/peep sight? Would be glad to give advice or suggestions further.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
I have had contacts prescribed but gave up wearing them due to not being able to see clearly enuf beyond 100m, pain in the butt when driving. They were OK for shooting but not great for hunting. BY all accounts my eyes are very healthy ,they're just aging .
One interesting question I have, is why is my vision SO much better when i wear my Polaroids? these are stock standard off the shelf Polaroids and i wear them alot as I'm a trout fishing guide at this time of the year(NZ Summer)and will have them on for 8-10hrs a day.
The big question is even without being able to see my eye Kudu4u is it realistic to expect contact or eye glasses to be able to focus on 3 points, ie peep,pins target. The other thing that i now do that helps is shot with both eyes open. I 'm sitting at the PC now and certainly do not need reading glasses, anything inside 10-12 inches is a blurr and once i'm 6-8 ft from the screen I can't read the print.
My i need to really explain my situation to my eye care person.
Thanks everyone.

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
The polarizing effect of a lens cuts off most all of the glare on a horizontal angle of 180 degrees (surface of water, auto hood, snow, etc.)...then to a lesser extent on the other angles between 0 and 180 degrees. Additionally, this improves visual acuity somewhat in most eyes. My favorite is a brown or rose polaroid. Now, you can get these also in prescription single vision and progressive. Glasses work better on all points not just the main 3 than contacts but the newish progressive contacts are not bad at all..just glasses are always a tad sharper due to the fact they are a hard surface and not affected by the eyelid. Polarization makes it easier to see those fine trout under water! I would love to try this with you sometime. Yes, tell all to your eyecare provider and follow their lead...there are lots of things out there to help.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure your doctor's checked for cataracts, but mention it just in case. My Dad was bothered by reflected light and lost acuity fast, then had cataract surgery and it was almost magic.

Second, for target archery people use magnification lenses with a dot instead of pins to shoot (poster mentioned above). Might try one of those. Look at Lancaster Archery for a wide assortment.

HTH,
Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an HHA sight with a single pin as I cannot see the multiple pins good enough.

Also If/when I get to where I cannot use my single pin sight I will get a quality red dot bow sight.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a large peep sight and a red lighted pin.
Shoot with both eyes open, focus on the target, the pin will take care of itself.
Close one eye and you can't see anything under hunting conditions. Kenny