New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carpal tunnel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got it pretty bad and am going to the Dr tuesday. Almost sure I'll need the little clip surgury... right here before turkey season starts.

Past two weeks have not been fun. I've never dropped my pen so much and handwriting has gone to preschool level.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey NC-

I too have this fine feeling deal going on too. I guess I really do shoot too much as I've been told . My arm has been put in a splint that goes from hand to elbow. It is on my left hand and I'm left handed .
What have you done for your pain? I have been using ice and then heat and ice and heat and then repeat for the rest of the day .

I put my arm in a full wrap so that I could shoot again but at about full draw it felt like some red hot needles got shoved up my wrist and forarm. That seems to be a hint not to shoot for the near future .

I guess I'll stay with fishing for the time being.
good luck!
DOA

Posts: 21 | Location: South Eastern PA | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To both of you, go have the surgery. Carpal tunnel syndrome is when the median nerve, the nerve that controls movement from center of index finger to your little finger, is being pinched. This condition will NOT get better on its own. You will eventually lose ALL use of your hand(s). I had the surgery done back in 01. On both hands. Best move I ever made. Recovery time was about 6 weeks per hand. Dont do em both at same time unless you got somebody willin to wipe for you. I have had no problems with them since having the procedure. Still do not have the endurance I once had in my grip but it is coming back. Was told this takes time. Grip strength is back just cant hold real tight for extended amounts of time. One other suggestion. Tell the orthopedic to stick the cortizone shots up his A**. They hurt like hell and dont cure anything. May cut down on the pain a little but in the mean time you are still suffering irrepairable nerve damage. I chose not to get them. Went for the sure fix. And the doctor should tell you to be careful what you do for about 6 months after the surgery. Lets everything completely heal and prevents excessive scar tissue from forming and repinching the nerve. Had a friend of mine that didnt listen. Had to go back in and scrape the tissue away. He said that was 10 times worse than the surgery to clip the tendon. Hope I have been some help. Almost forgot. The testing they did on me to be sure it was CTS hurt like hell. Involves electrical impulses and needles. Was NOT fun but the end result was well worth it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
oh crap, you shouldn't have told me that.

I'm scheduled for CTS on May 5th.

I don't have ins so payin off the hip. First visit today was $317 for xrays and the worthless splint. I understand the CTS will cost me a grand.

I tried hard as I could to go straight to the operation but nooooo, they have to put me thru their program first. If it wasn't so bad, I'd tell them to shove it.

I noticed the clinic has roof damage from the hurricane. I have plans to recoup.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was just curious how the CTS was going. I hope you and DOA both sought medical attention.

one of us
posted Hide Post
yes, to update.

I have found that the worthless wrist split isn't so worthless after all.

I have been wearing it when sleeping and have improved greatly, to the point I have canceled any further medical treatment/test for the time being. Still have slight tingling in the fingertips but the dropsys are gone and I'm doing much better.

If the problems return I'll take it up then.

thanks for asking.

oh, I found out I could have gone to walmart and bought a wristbrace and saved about 300 bucks.

posted Hide Post
howdee Boys -

I too have improved but not shooting is getting to me . It turns out that I did not have Carpal tunnel but a tendon that had some problems. I did not know how much I used my left hand until now. I even find fishing hard to do so I just take my kids and play outfitter .

Glad to hear your better bowman

also thanks for asking.

DOA

Posts: 21 | Location: South Eastern PA | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wrong again. While placing the wrist in a straight position is taking some of the pressure off that swollen nerve, it is still compressed by the carpal tunnel. That relief is only temporary. The nerve is still being damaged. The effects are just being slowed by the brace. And they are NOT reverseable or repairable. So quit putting it off and go get the damn thing fixed. You have plenty of time to be fully recovered and ready for bow season. I am not a doctor. I hate doctors and have threatened the health of quite a few people with needles. So I did my research. And I bit the bullet and had the surgery done. I know you said you would be springing for the procedure, but a light wallet beats the hell out of a useless hand.