New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two Chances
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not sure what time I got to the blind, but I’d been there awhile when the feeder kicked in at 7:10. Then I waited another hour, seeing nothing and the feeder went off again at 8:10. Feeder going off sort of gives me a surge of hope something might come along, so I double check, make sure the arrow’s knocked in and everything, hoping for some action. Then I sat there another hour, I read a little Guideposts magazine, glancing up every once in awhile. I was starting to get cold, thinking about leaving when I finally glimpsed a fawn down below. Its mother not too big, but fat and she was trailing along.

Took them awhile to make their way to the feeder, and when they finally did, they were facing me and wouldn’t turn broadside. Then a small spike buck joined them. I didn’t want to shoot it, wanted the doe. She looked up the hill to the right and scrunched down like she was scared then went above the feeder and milled around a little. Meanwhile there are more deer coming from below. A couple fawns and a doe...that’d be 6 but it seems like I counted 7. The doe finally came back down turned broadside, and I drew the bow. I had difficulty finding the peep site but when I did, I let the arrow go. Of course they all took off. I’m analyzing the shot and that it didn’t seem like any were hit, and it occurs to me while I was looking for the peep site I used the 30 yard pin again! I had figgured that out the other day when i missed one. After that shot, i measured and found the distance is actually 20, not 30 like i'd thought. I was so close, and I’ve had so many opportunities, and just blew another easy shot. Sheesh!

So one deer was still beyond the brush and I wait awhile for it to leave, but it seems in no hurry. It went down by the big oak, kept looking back at the feeder then walked toward the point. It mostly seemed lonely and lost. It was a full grown deer and probably a buck, but I didn’t see spikes. Just that you seldom see a doe alone. It finally disappears and I’m taking my release off, and get binoculars to make sure it’s not looking when I step out of the blind. I caught movement in the area where the deer had been and for a moment thought I was looking at a big bobcat. Naw....just a big yellow cat but it looked huge in the binos. Well, I put release back on. I knew it’d come down past the feeder, and I would get a shot at it. Correct...it did come exactly down past the feeder and paused to sniff and go on. But I didn’t shoot because following curiously behind was the deer. Unfortunately, it was up on the 4-wheeler path and passed from view on my right, as the right hand windows weren’t open.

Despite the fact i'm cold, hungry, and up to my ears in coffee, I decided to wait awhile longer since that onedeer seemed to be aimlessly wandering around, maybe I’d get another shot. Sure enough, in 15 or 20 min, it passed below the blind. It stopped with its neck and head behind a tree. I drew and released an arrow. Well, guess what? The 30 yard pin again and I bet it wasn’t over 20. I'm just used to practicing at 30 yards and something automatic takes over. I felt like tearing the damn thing off. My head, not the e$pensive site pin! HaHa. The arrow did some harm, but only to itself. When I retrieved it, the broadhead blades were gone. Oh shite..... I’m down to two broadheads. Maybe if I’m real LUCKY I’ll get something Friday...my new broadheads. They’re supposed to be in, I’m sure going to need them. One more deer hunt could wipe me out.

Below, i'm going to try to post a picture of the cat which i got in the trail cam. If you look close at the left hand upper corner you can see the deer's head. I think it's curious because once before i saw a deer curiously following a cat. This was down in a field we were just driving by and saw a big cat and the deer was ears forward and approaching it, with rapt attention.

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It happens, I have used the wrong pin too many times. The problem is that I like to shoot far for practice and have too many pins. All of them should be removed for hunting. My top pin is good for 10 to 20 yd's and is all I need. It is such a hassle though and they need to be sighted in again for practice even if marked.
One thing to remember is that when deer are spooked and run in all directions, stay put because some are seperated from the rest and will come back to look for them. They don't know what spooked them in the first place. They will come back and search out the trails for scent so they can join up again. Be patient!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
My normal deer hunting bow has a single pin sight that I set for whichever stand I'm in.

This year I am using my new "Cape Buff" bow with a 3 pin sight and I, too, used the wrong pin when I shot my elk. Luckily he was a bigger target!

I can't see the deer's head, just a cat's ass! Smiler

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
That's why I like to only use one pin. It sure helps out.

My bow is quite fast and doesn't have much of an arch from 10-30 yards so one pin sighted at 20 yards on level ground does me good from 0-30 out of a stand.

If your bow isn't real fast try zeroing at 25 then, shoot at 15, 20, and 30. If your only a couple of inches different at each range you should be fine once you get the hang of it.

Too many pins cause alot of trouble for many bow hunters.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote